Training Videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Training Videos

Hoping to get some input on this. The company I work for wants to contract me out to do a series of training videos for them (probably 6 total). They want me to write up a itemized proposal and whatnotand frankly I have no idea how to go about that. What would you guys charge per video for something like this? I've always done work for friends and others that I lowballed the price for, but I don't mind trying to milk a little more out of the company. Any input you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom
Thomas Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You haven't given us much of a clue regarding constraints whether equipment or budget. Budget for shooting with Sony PD-170 is going to be different than shooting with Panasonic Varicam.

Just some budget items.
Camera rental
Sound rental
Lighting rental
Crew pay for above including assistants
Script writing
Producing/Directing pay
Travel costs if any
Meal costs
Costs for on camera acting talent
Voice Over costs if any
Music costs (stock music vs composing)
cost for permits etc. depending on location(s)
stock footage costs if any
cost for props if any
insurance if any is needed
cost of tape stock and consumables

cost of post production
editing
graphics
audio mix

How many days will it take you to shoot?
How many days in post production?
Days to reshoot after changes
Days for post production after changes?

Final delivery format?

I'm sure others can add more to the above.

I get people who ask me question like "how much does it cost to do a music video?" My answer is somewhere between almost free and a few million dollars. It depends what your expectations are for the end product.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Tourist

Sorry about that, I should have provided more info.

I work for a national talk radio syndicator and these training videos are for new board operators... there will be 1 general video and 5 others will be specific for our 5 biggeest shows.

Equipment is all mine... and XL-1, lighting kit etc. No crew, just me. Talent , music and VO work will be provided in house. DVD copies will be burned at the network. Basically, a lot of this will be provided in house. That's why the came to me first, they know they can get away a little cheaper by pulling the camera/editing person from in house too.

One of my biggest problems is the timeframe it would take to shoot this. I've always had to work around my work schedule and shoot when I have extra time. I can't honestly say I've ever just shot something straight through. I'm assuming each will be about 20-25 minutes long.

Again, I apologize for the very general questions. they basically proposed paying me my hourly wage for the production. I think that would be way too low. If anyone can provide me an example of what a formal bid for a project looks like, I think I can wing it from there. They are just getting on my back for a bid and pushing the "hourly wage" idea but I don't want to get lowballed to bad. Thanks for the input Craig. I was way too general in my first post for any real answers. If any other info is needed for an educated guess about this project, let me know. Thanks guys.

Tom
Thomas Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Well if this is your job, and just another project, the hourly rate idea might be fair. If you do something else for them, then they should be paying you a prevailing rate for a DP.

If they want you to use your camera/light/sound equipment, they should pay prevailing equipment rental rates, above and beyond your rate.

If you are going to use your own facilities for editing, the game changes substantially. Your hardware, your software, your electric, your home, your overhead, your music libraries, stock footage, etc... You should be getting a production company rate for editing.

There is no right number, only what you negotiate. If you are not happy with their final offer, just say no. If they are not happy with your final offer and hire someone else at lower rate, you should be happy about that too.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #5
Major Player

This is almost like being involved in a neighborhood situation, no matter what side you take, someone else won't like you.

If you don't charge enough, you will feel taken advantage of, if you charge "too much" you will be seen as a greedy ingrate milking the company coffers.

I'd say the way to save your regular job and come out a winner is to not offer a bid until an actual final voice-over script is submitted to you.

Then you can study just how long it will take to actually do what the voice over script is stating needs to be done. As you analyze the voice over script you begin to see how much graphics and special set-up shots will be needed, how many shots will require additional talent, etc...

If your company doesn't come up with a voice-over script but wants to proceed anyway by outsourcing the job, offer to work as the director. If they are thinking of outsourcing, suggest they only agree to do one video rather than get a "discount" for doing all the videos.

After one video is done you can decide if you can do it cheaper than the other company did.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business