Resume & Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 13th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Resume & Reel

Can any editors help me out? I have a lot of work as an editor under my belt, but my resume isn't great and I don't have a reel... I can email you my resume, but as far as a reel... I don't know how to make one... Isn't the point of editing the whole thing? If you start cutting it up, how will the prospective employers get the idea that your a good editor?

Michael Estepp
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

You must excite a potential employer with your reel and give them a little "razzle dazzle". Obviously editing long form is more about evoking emotion and bringing light to the story but for a reel, you gotta show that you can make things flashy and exciting. My reel has landed me some fairly good gigs including a call back and offer from a local production company wanting a lead Avid editor (which I ended up not going with) and now I'm an apprentice editor for an awesome long form company under a great editor locally while also freelancing in my free time. Anyways, I'm moving out to LA in July for editing so don't copy my reel! :)

http://www.definingfilms.com/BryanRoberts.htm

I'd be more than happy to look at your resume if you'd like, just don't forget, I'm not a real "professional" quite yet - I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts on Burbank CA, that's where a few of our possible apt complexes are located - safe? unsafe? nice area? We're taking a trip down in June to tour them all and sign a lease but some insight before hand would be great.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Brian, nice page. Tasteful, clean.

How come your spots are numbered 1, 3, 2, 4 ??
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Major Player

John - thanks for the kind words. Honestly, tasteful and clean are two words I strive for in my work - flashy has its place but it's not what I focus on. I guess the spot numbering is actually a bit outdated for my reel now that I think about it. Originally, each project listed my job roles and not the name of the film so the names were listed on the side to inform of the project names. I've since changed my reel format to just have the project titles rendering the spot listing unneccesary. Thanks for pointing that out!

-Edit - [slaps forhead] ah, the numbers are out of order as well - funny how when you start to see patterns the brain fills in previously stored information, damn.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow, a real big help. Thanks a lot man.

Burbank is nice. There are great parts of it, and bad parts of it.... the only real way to tell is to talk to the neighbors and visit it at 2am on a weekend if possible.

Good luck, maybe we'll bump into each other.
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business