video home tours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
New Boot

video home tours

Hello All,
I have some recent opportunities to do some video home tours for local real estate companies, but have been struggling with how much to charge. I believe that they would generally be 4-8min in length per house. Also, I figure an hour or two shooting, and an hour or two editing at around $300 a house (plus expenses...tapes, gas, etc) makes sense. Is this too high? Can anybody share what they charge for house tours? Otherwise, can anybody point me in the direction of someone who does this work & visits these forums? I suppose I could go as low as $200 house...I just don't want to price myself out of these jobs. Any advise? Thanks in advance,
Edward Croteau
Red Quill Productions
Edward Croteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Geez, I'm reluctant to even mention it again, but since you asked... check out this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=32947

Better grab a comfy chair and big glass of your favorite beverage, you're gonna be there for awhile... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ahhhk Boyd!

You just yanked the stake from the heart of that thread!

NOOOOoooooooooo!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #4
New Boot

re: thanks

Oh yeah, I remember reading that one. It seemed like people were all over the map, so I can understand not wanting to get into that one again. I was hoping that someone could give me some real advice outside of the obvious lowballing/potential scam that the 'goldenopportunity' thread represents.
Edward Croteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Please don't let Pandora out of the box again! For Edward, if you take the example of this "Get rich quick" scheme, you would market at about $200. You are proposing taking more time and care than they were saying, so the extra money may be OK. As always, the market and quality of your product will combine to set a fair price.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Its all about marketing. Most realtors don't spend a dime on stuff like this, and even take their own still pictures for what they call a web tour. You will have to do some educating and convincing. A lot will depend on the market and price of the house. For a $100k house where the listing agent gets about $1500, unlikely they will share $300 with you up front.
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Major Player

You'd be suprised how quickly that 2 hours will fly by and leave you with a very incomplete day of shooting, especially if your goal is 4-8 minutes. The one thing I learned most from doing the same type of "home touring" videos is that its not just a get-in-get-out operation. Zoom out of the kitchen, zoom into the bedroom, etc. are all easy to do in that two hours, but when you begin tying in voice overs or interviews (you'd be suprised how fast realitors freeze up on camera, considering that their job is to talk) then your time multiplies quickly. The guy I worked with (notice the past tense) would schedule a "Yeah, sure we can get that done in two hours... tops." production and I would end up sticking around four or five before heading off to another "Yeah, sure we can get that done in two hours... tops." shoot, one hour late. Then had to work all kinds of magic, trying to edit an incomplete shoot into something slightly presentable.

Now, I'm not saying the two hours isn't possible, but you'll have to be ultra organized and everything will have to go smoothly to get there... which won't happen until you've finished a few tours and start to get the knack. I would advise devoting an entire Saturday to one home, development, or agent to get your first feel of how this will all go down. That will give you the best understanding.

Also, keep in mind who you're dealing with. A lot of realitors are very nice and let you do what you do best, but there are also a lot that feel they do best and go out of their way to get that point accross. Plus, they are salespeople, many of them really good salespeople. So be prepared.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business