Another Name My Company Thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #16
Major Player

Sounds like a good name.

Now time to work on the logo.

How about a drawing of a man with net on a pole over his shoulder with a "shadow" silhouette in the net. You know, kind of like the dog catcher hauling a pooch off to the truck. ;)

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Trustee

Or a play on a Native American dream catcher with a camera lens in the middle.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #18
Trustee

Can't help with the logo. I have to stay in the shallow end of that talent pool.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Website is up.

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that my website is operational. Still adding pages and have more work to go. Currently working on some logo ideas, so for the time being I'm working with a template design.

http://shadowcatcherstudios.com/

Would love some feedback on the content of the site. as well as your thoughts on adding prices to the site. Do you think it turns customers away or helps them decide that they want to use you? I've got some there, but curious about the pros and cons of having prices posted.

Thanks again for the feedback and advice offered through this forum.

Mike Watkins
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Major Player

I really like your site. It's simple, tasteful, easy to navigate, visually appealing. You say it's from a template?

How'd you find a template that good? Plain and simple. The one's I'm trying on Yahoo aren't quite what I'd like. The one I'm using on my site would be a lot better if I could just delete the banner picture on top of it, but that doesn't seem possible.

Congratulations on a nice looking site.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Roger,

I'm using Rapidweaver(Mac only) and the Stacks plug-in. Rapidweaver comes with about 40 themes and this one happens to be called "Clean".

Thanks for checking it out.

Mike Watkins
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm a fan of simple elegant websites which is probably why I do like your website.

My thoughts on pricing: I think that as long as your prices are reasonable for the service you are offering there is no reason why not to put them up. Personally (as a consumer), I like seeing pricing online as I don't feel that the company is trying to hide anything and being open and honest. These sites are generally the ones I bookmark and come back to later. That's just me personally so I can't comment for everyone else on the internet. :P

Just a thought, but if you want your pricing to be more visible (you might not) maybe you should make a 'Pricing' page or something along those lines. And put all your rates on that page. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you have it now, as if someone is already interested in what you're offering it's on the page that they're looking at anyway. Just thinking out loud.

Just curious, but are you going to add a page for music production? It just seems a little strange that you have "music production" in the header but I don't see it mentioned anywhere else on your site.

Overall, good job! *Thumbs up*
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #23
Trustee

Mike... I gave your site a quick squizz and overall I do like it. Simple designs work for me but I'm a simple guy. I think you need a logo or graphic element in the header or at least stylized text for your company name (think along the lines of the DVINFO.NET text atop this page). It doesn't really pop right now for me.

Dealing with prices on a site gets a little squidgy. I like offering representative package prices for comparison purposes but putting hourly rates up there run the risk of having your clients costing out their jobs in their own heads and likely getting it wrong. I have no problem with stating day rates but that's about as granular as I'd want to get.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input guys. I have basically finished the site and will likely be making some minor tweaks on the existing layout until I am finished getting my graphics finalized.

I've go quite a bit of interest from possible clients so I needed to get something going.

Thanks again for looking and taking time to comment and offer advice.

http://shadowcatcherstudios.com/

Mike Watkins

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business