How much for this job? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How much for this job?

The job I got is:
Travel from 10 difference places in Norway to film a snowbaord event. (13 days of traveling- not continuous, but in February)
One event is 1 day, then travel to the next place.
It's a big event and I will be filming bigjumps and maby doing some interviews.
I shall also make an edit from each event and post it on their internet site and take some pictures. (3min edit)

What should I take for the entire job ?
Morten Engelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Major Player

It depends on a few things- like if they provide equipment and pay your costs. Also depends on locations- are these only ski areas or backcountry with avalanche hazard? For the later the usual cost is about 350-450 USD per day.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
New Boot

What are you worth an hour($8, $25, $50, $100)? How long are you filming for per day? Do you need to pay for accommodations and gas? Are they feeding you as well?

You have to charge something for the travel days even though you're not filming. Those are days that you wouldn't be able to take other jobs anyways.

check out this cost of doing business calculator. It will give you a good idea of what to charge. NPPA: Cost of Doing Business Calculator

Also per-diem is roughly around $50 a day.
Wm. Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would start by adding up every expense outside of shooting and editing.

Gas, lodging, days off on the road, food etc... and come up with a number for this separate from the job.

Then add this number to your normal rate as if it was all thw work was in town and see what your base cost is.

Raise it a bit more as travelling takes you away from getting other work finished.

For shooting and editing on the road with a tight deadline, especially if you are supplying your own gear, I would lean above $450 a day + expenses. Sounds like a lot of long days.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If supplying your own gear, day rate will be HIGHLY dependent on gear - a single chip HDV camera or a 2/3" HDCam with wide and tele lenses... Camera kit may be WELL above $1k a day before factoring in labour.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business