You never know who's looking... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Aaron -
I think we were just "thread drifting" a bit... I don't think Micks post was poiinted at you or anyone in particular, just a good desription of how anyone can quite thouroughly embarrass themselves in the age of instant communication...

Taking time before pressing "send" or "submit" or "post" is always good if there's something causing you to act/react in a way less than professionsl - but we've all probably violated that rule ONCE (and hopefully lesson learned when you realize how silly you seemed at that moment!).

I too sometimes just delete a post before submitting, simply because it isn't really adding anything, glad to know I'm not alone!

Generally even the "heated discussions" here are professional, and the rare times when someone slips, CH is there to ride herd (and other regulars will gently hint...), and tranquility returns. Nice neighborhood!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

In now way shape or form was I referring to you Aaron, I don't even know the post you are referring to. If anything I was pointing at myself. This thread was a reminder to me as well.
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
Posting while angry is a sure way to be seen as a hothead...
That's an excellent point which is highly relevant to the overall DVi experience.

We try to withdraw from public view these types of "angry posts" wherever we find them (hint: it really helps us when people *report* them), or we'll edit them out of an otherwise tech / creatively helpful post, and when we do this, it's more for that poster's own good than anything else -- because it doesn't matter what the target of your rant is; ultimately when you post a rant, you are what's looked upon negatively, not your subject.

Note: we seldom ever delete posts. We withdraw them from public view. There's a big difference!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

As the networks say: We don't cancel shows; we just don't renew them.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Well, we have the ability to restore them to public view. They're not really gone; they're just invisible. Very much still there however.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Inner Circle

He he he... and for a small fee, you'll protect our dignity, right? <wink>! WE all goof sometimes, it's nice to have a genteel editor on the lookout!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Can't... Edit... Post... Argh!

Oh well... It looks like my stupidity is stuck on the internet for all to see... Guess the topic at hand has metaphorically come back and bit me in the rear...
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
We try to withdraw from public view these types of "angry posts" wherever we find them (hint: it really helps us when people *report* them), or we'll edit them out of an otherwise tech / creatively helpful post, and when we do this, it's more for that poster's own good than anything else -- because it doesn't matter what the target of your rant is; ultimately when you post a rant, you are what's looked upon negatively, not your subject.
That reminds me Chris... when is the rumored private section for professional communication going to be available? :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Fowler View Post
Can't... Edit... Post... Argh!

Oh well... It looks like my stupidity is stuck on the internet for all to see... Guess the topic at hand has metaphorically come back and bit me in the rear...
Aaron, if it's any consolation, I got the joke in your response to Mick's post. Of course, maybe Dave and Mick were joking in their responses to your response, acting like they thought you were serious. But then, maybe in your latest post you were just pretending not to get their jokes, in which they were pretending not to get yours...

There are so many levels of irony here I think I'm getting vertigo.
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business