NEED HELP! I produced a corporate video........ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Trustee

NEED HELP! I produced a corporate video........

Hi all,

I need help with this one. I did a freelance job where I produced a video for a media company. They do video productions and hire producers when they need them.

My problem:

I produced this corporate video and was involved with the edit until the very end....just before client approval. The company that hired me never really liked the idea of me having "Willow Studios". When taking me on as a freelancer they expressed that they'd rather hire me full-time. I told them I'm just a freelancer and that's what I do.

Subsequently, they went to the client and did a new edit. Just a few minor changes, but enough where I know my copy isn't as good. They used additional edit time to tweak the video.

It looks like they don't want to give me a final copy of the video! Is there any way I can get this video? I can't seem to get an answer, but I assume one of the owners wanted to use my services as a freelancer until they got a full-time producer and now I'm just a pain? I don't know exactly. The very last day I was there and showed them my cut of the video they thought it was "great!" Everything was done exactly as was planned...it was a long project where I had to travel too. My edit was fine, but this final tweak had a few needed changes.

I had to sign a contract with them...the usual B.S. type where they own this and that. Of course, that's fine. But, for a video "reel" I need my latest work! I don't care if the "final" edit was done without me...I produced that video throughout. I directed it.

So, has anyone else had to deal with this? I could contact the client who will get the video directly and ask for a copy. This could get back to the video company. Would that be a problem?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Christopher
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Christopher,

Doesn't sound fun, sorry.

I would strongly advise against trying to get the video from the client. I think it would read as unprofessionaly, and certainly the company who contracted you would look doubly bad here - they used an outside source when they may not have mentioned that, and they didn't failed at managing their relationship with him. I would not expect any more work from them if you do that.

Certainly the best way to go is to get a sympathetic ear at the company to give you a copy. If that doesn't work, I would just tweak the edits in what you have already and use that. If it is for a demo reel, then certainly you don't need the whole thing flawless anyway - just a minute-long segment.

Good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Barry,

You're right about them not telling them I was a freelancer. One of the co-owners told me to stay quiet about it.

This type of thing really gets under my skin. I've been freelancing for so many years and shit like this always happens. The companies use you because you're giving them something they need, but at the same time look down upon you because they can....you're not on staff. So, they can crap on you.

I'll take your suggestion and just use my copy. It's perfectly fine and useable. I just prefer to have the final edit in my possession too.

Since I've never run into this problem before I'll make sure that I add a clause in my next contract that I must get the "final" edited copy given to the client...regardless of my participation in that final edit session.

The thing that really stinks? It's online on the clients web site and the video company, but the quality is crappy web video. (not full screen)

Thanks Barry..
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Wrangler

Unless it is really sweet stuff, I think you are worrying too much about it. If you let stuff like this bother you, you'll end up drinking as much as me, and that's too much. :)
Anyway, I only get footage from about 1/4 of the corporate type stuff I work on. I stopped caring a long time ago. If there is something that I know is amazingly good, I'll back it up before I hand off the tapes to the editor.

Plus, if you didn't shoot or edit it, I wouldn't use it on your reel.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Dylan,

I hear you. Normally, I wouldn't care much. But, the last 3 projects I've done haven't been "up to snuff" in my book. I'm my own worse critic, but still I like to have the best reel possible.

Anyway, I've already decided to forget it. It's not worth the stress..
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Glad it helped, Christopher.... onward ho.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business