Local Tax Laws at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Trustee

Local Tax Laws

Hello DVInfo community,

I operate a video production business in the Northern California Area where I focus on event videos and corporate productions. These are the primary source of revenue. My passion, however, is in producing independent movies and documentaries. One of the areas that the community of local indie filmmakers are interested in, is developing the indie industry. Developing projects and financing them is of particular concern.

I am interested to know of any incentives set up by your state or local regulatory agencies that help to lower the cost of producing a movie. One example here in California helps to reduce the amount of sales tax paid. The state has a special tax exemption on equipment purchased for television or post production work. All equipment purchased by a company for that work doesn't have to pay the state sales tax which equates to a 5%.

Some cities have also set up incentive programs that reduce hotel costs for production crew staying in that area, etc.

If you are aware of any programs for your area or state that are geared toward making it more affordable for production crews I'd really like to hear about them.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Here's the State of Florida's Film Site: Film In Florida - Florida Film Commission, Florida Film Office, Florida locations, Florida films, Florida Film Industry

The State is offering quite a few incentives.

Hope this helps.

Roger

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business