Question for the Pro Gurus … How much would you charge…? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 8th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Question for the Pro Gurus … How much would you charge…?

Here's the project:

1 minute infomercial/commercial: (pretty straight forward shoot/edit)

1 camera (mini DV) - very minimal setup – just cameraperson and talent

1 day shoot on location (outside - morning/afternoon – 1 location) probably 3-5 hrs shooting time

Run and gun type approach

Provide finished broadcast quality product/edit with aftereffects titling, graphics and words whooshing in and out as we’ve all seen a million times…

I have the skills to do all of the above (I operate as a freelancer) and have done lots of corporate video, but never a commercial/infomercial. Obviously, because my resume is lacking this type of experience, I can’t charge what others could/would. What would be reasonable in this case?

Ballpark range for this type of work? Below 5K?...3K? More..? I am clueless.

The spot will play late at night nationally (mostly cable stations)…

Thanks in advance…
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This sort of thing really depends on the market. I know for a fact, that is some towns, a television station will practically give away the production costs for such a spot... in order to sell the air time. (I know a TV station that would charge five hundred bucks for what you just described.)

But that's because they can make their money off the air time... its a package deal.

Ask around in YOUR market. Call the local television station, and ask them what they would charge.

EDIT

Okay, I see you're in NYC... yeah, call the cable channels and see what they charge.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Major Player

I try to bill corp work hourly. Makes it easier on everyone, and I don't have to worry if client will want endless revisions or be happy with the first cut. I just keep them on track and try to say "Sure I can do that, about an hour, extra $x". Or whatever it will take. Otherwise, you really have to nail it down ahead of time to know what you are expected to deliver. I hate having the "well that wasn't what I understood you wanted, so now the price will be..." conversation.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Ha, good luck getting the cable company to tell their competition what they charge. I tried here in Raleigh w Time Warner once and it was impossible.

Considering that the stations would do this for a seriously low amount and the scope of the project is small crew & equipment wise, I would probably do this for $1k - $1500. As with all projects, be sure to limit the client to a certain number of hours, especially in post.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Haven't gotten back to this one in a while --

Thanks for all of the info guys!
James Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business