should i promote my name, or my business name? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

should i promote my name, or my business name?

Hey I was wondering what would be better, promoting my name , or my business name on my website?
I produce, shoot, direct and edit everything on my web site. and right now on my site my company name is the main title people see.

I produce music videos, and band promo videos. I know some people have there name on there website vs a company name. I'm thinking for what I am doing and what I want to do that I should have my Name as the main thing on my site. what are your thoughts?

my site is morganvisual.com if you goto it you can see.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd suggest totally revamping your site. Not a fan of the layout at all. I don't like how the homepage is just various thumbnails to links, and there is no "About Us" page to goto.

It needs more hierachy to it:

Home page - Graphic & Brief info
About Us - Sell yourself & your bio
Videos - put you links on this page
Photography - Photos on this page if you plan on keeping & promoting them
Contact Us - Email & Ph#

Just my advice. But in my opinion your page is a little haphazard & like spaghetti thrown against the wall. Your videos seem good, I just think the page layout needs a bit of structure. To answer your original question, I think it'd be a good idea promoting the business, to make it seem you're a bit more that a one man operation, but then in the About Us page sell yourself & list your past work & bio.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player

-----------------------thank you-------
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Trustee

David,

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to develop a company presence or do you want to develop yourself as a freelance shooter, editor, and producer. If you want to focus on directing promote your name.

You need to decide what direction you want to go in.

-Garrett
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Trustee

A few thoughts -

If you get sued in the future, whose name is more 'expendable'? Yours or your company's?

Are you planning on adding more individuals to your team?

When you meet clients, do you say 'we do this, we do that...' or 'I do this...'?

How are you accounts set up? Are you a recognized business? If yes, then do you bill people in that name or collect checks in that name? (Talk to a lawyer if you must)

Whatever you do, stick to one name, not two....you can go the car manufacturers' way and put your name on it (Ford, Benz, etc) or you can use web-savvy names that people can type in easily (google, yahoo, etc). Whatever gets you the deal the fastest.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business