pricing % for music videos; pricing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Major Player

pricing % for music videos; pricing question

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable percentage that I should take from the budget for producing music videos. I pretty much do everything, but do hire a small crew.

Things that I do myself are
*get the gig
*hire the crew
*direct the video
*editing the video
*producing the video
*write the treatment

Ill hire, lighting, camera op, dp etc.
So not including things like location cost or props. What % should I get and what % should I leave for hiring the crew? Crew is pretty much one day of work where my work could last weeks, planning editing etc.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: pricing % for music videos; pricing question

Whatever your dayrate (or hourly rate) is, charge that for the things you list. When I bid a gig, I spec out how much time I expect everything to take, and I bill for that time. 4 hours to gather information, 4 hours to write a script, 4 hours to shop it around and make changes, 8 hours on set, 20 hours editing, whatever. So in this (hypothetical) example, I have 40 hours @ whatever your hourly rate is.

When I hire crew, I charge 10% on top of their rate. They get $450/day, I get $45 (that I bill the client for).

For me, this is easier than trying to decide what I think the client will pay, charging him that, and then trying to get a crew for that price. It's very ala carte. If the bottom line is $5k and the client balks, it's all right there in front of him. "What would you like to cut out?" It's a choose your own price scenario.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business