Equipment Insurance - What %? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Equipment Insurance - What %?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at equipment insurance for my new gear, and seem to get quite a wide variance in pricing. One quote came in with a premium worth 5% of the combined cost of the gear (and didn't even cover it for fire damage).

Other quotes seem to come in with premiums around 3.5% and 3% the value of the gear.

However I was told that 2.5% is about as much of a premium as you should pay for equipment insurance.

If anyone could share their experiences and what their gear-value/premium ratio has been, that'd be much appreciated - I simply can't figure out what's a reasonable rate.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Equipment Insurance - What %?

That is something that will be difficult to get a reasonable snapshot of from a forum such as this one. Insurance pricing is a very localized thing. Here in this USA it can be a challenge to find decent coverage. As an example I had to be referred to a broker by one of their current customers before they would give me a quote for my gear. My insurance agent that handles my home/auto policies would not even discuss it.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Equipment Insurance - What %?

I'd look at the use of the gear as a starter, how suseptable is it to getting stolen, lost or damaged.

eg: Is it used with your main business? Do you take it on location jobs every day? In 'bad' areas of Melbourne? Have you had any gear stolen,
lost etc and made any claims? The rates might be based if you declared any of this.

Photographers Insurance | Aon Insurance Brokers and Risk Managers

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business