Freelance referral sites: what works/doesn't? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Freelance referral sites: what works/doesn't?

A bit of a slow time lately... going over the usual slow-time stuff, equipment fiddling, prepping a new reel, etc... but this year I have a bit of cash saved up to put towards advertising.

I'm currently free-listed on:
Mandy.com: Kevin McRoberts on mandy.com
ProductionHUB: http://www.productionhub.com/directo...px?item=179676
MediaMatch: Kevin McRoberts's online resume | Camera Operator, Production Assistant | By Media Match
Videographies.com
Greenlightjobs.com
Thumbtack.com

...probably a few others.

On the whole, I've gotten more solid leads from Craigslist than from the last three. The others are listed pretty much "more-first."

I have a terribly simple web page ( video, productions, McBob Productions Charlottesville, VA ) that doesn't list very high in search engines.

So magic question, what's worked for you to at least get your listing seen and bring in some bid requests? Trying to figure out where the money is better-spent: preferred listings, SEO ranking or whatever it's called, custom shirts and hats and keychains and jar openers, or a giant billboard of my furry face held aloft by weather balloons, riding the wild jet stream to blissful international stratospheric glory.

Thoughts appreciated.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Freelance referral sites: what works/doesn't?

Re: Thumbtack.com - Stay Away!

I noticed that whenever I updated something on Thumbtack I would suddenly receive dozens and dozens of spam emails. As soon as I deleted my account the spam went away.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
Trying to figure out where the money is better-spent: preferred listings, SEO ranking or whatever it's called
Don't spend money on SEO. The industry is fraught with scams and it's hard to tell who's real and who's just going to take your money. I like your website, I feel it reflects your personality (maybe it doesn't, but I believe it probably does.) However, your website is intentionally sparse on content, and content is what will get you better search engine results. Perhaps you could add a regularly updated blog to your site? I'd imagine some of your writings could be very entertaining.

Anyway, if you could do that yourself during this slow time that would be great, otherwise a decent web developer should be able to set up WordPress and create a theme that matches your site, and make your current site more "search engine friendly" for less than $500.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Trustee

Go to one of those sites and act as if you're hiring someone. That's what I'm faced with when I have absolutely no one and no referrals to hire. Now look at what makes someone stand out to you. That's what you have to do to get hired. I wish I could be more specific, but it's very vague - a "feeling" you get when you come across one of the ads.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Major Player

So nobody digs the weather-ballon billboard?

Bummer.
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin,
Google Analytics could be added to your website to give you traffic patterns, time on the site, bounces, etc.

Kind regards & best of good fortune,
Doug.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; September 7th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
So nobody digs the weather-ballon billboard?

Bummer.
I've used mandy.com and it works. The advertising rates aren't too bad either. You could also try linkedin for faster local 'connections'.

Other than that I solidly recommend joining a few good business clubs, Toastmasters or the like - find the clubs where your clients hang out.

Do something that'll get you free PR - that's better than any kind of advertising.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business