Using a TV commercial to get business at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Using a TV commercial to get business

That's right - for video production companies to get more business should WE be using a tv commercial?

Interested in your reactions and comments
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using a TV commercial to get business

Silas,

I think part of the answer depends on what markets within video production you are going after. The biggest "problem" with TV advertising is that is a very "shotgun" approach. A lot of people will see the ad, which is good for something like toilet paper, which everyone uses. It may not be so good for video production, where you may get lots of viewers, but most of them are probably not at all interested in your product. You can refine this a little by only showing the commercial during certain times, or during certain programs, but it's still not as targeted as a direct mail campaign, web advertising or good old fashioned cold calling of companies you believe could use your services.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The first question should be - Can you even afford a television commercial? If you can then your business is not short of funding anyway.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
The first question should be - Can you even afford a television commercial? If you can then your business is not short of funding anyway.
I've worked in radio since 1985 and there's an old adage - "Advertising doesn't cost, it pays." Of course that doesn't mean all forms of advertising are appropriate for every business, but it does mean you should examine your advertising strategy and make sure it has the potential to generate more income than it costs. If I spend $1 on advertising, it's because I believe it's going to help generate $1.01 or more in revenue. That's why it drives me crazy when I hear businesses say "we can charge less because we don't pay for advertising." If you were advertising effectively, you could increase volume, and therefore charge less...

Anyway, there are options to advertise cost effectvely to the niche market of business owners and decision makers. Possibly some cable insert ads on channels like Bloomberg, CNN, Fox Business, etc.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This question came up before in the form of .. 'should I try a night where we invite a selected cross section of possible clients to a presentation of our business?'

One of the reply posts said .. 'yes but do some careful market research to select your invited audience. Make it 60mins in the early evening with drinks. Dress your place up to reflect the market you're going after, look successful. Maybe rent a small hall closer in the city?'

'Show a 10min special video, but make it very creative, clever and give the folks a DVD to take back to their adv. dept the next day.'

From my experience I thought that was a much better idea than a shotgun approach on the box and you can follow up by phone, knowing you've met the person you're calling. You can ask to quote on their next production or introduce them to video. I see you're in Sacramento, so you have a wide cross section to work with.

Can't say I've read anything of the result of that advice, the OP probably doesn't even bother coming ashore off his new yacht now :)

Cheers.
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No doubt you are correct Chris but I know from Silas' previous posts that he is in the early stages of growing a media company and in my mind television commercials are very cost prohibitive. To get real results one needs a lot of air time. This just does not square with small media companies imho.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just remembered the salesman's proverb .. foot in the door - gain trust - drop the hammer.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 27th, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
No doubt you are correct Chris but I know from Silas' previous posts that he is in the early stages of growing a media company and in my mind television commercials are very cost prohibitive. To get real results one needs a lot of air time. This just does not square with small media companies imho.
You are correct, to make the best use of any kind of broadcast advertising, it needs to happen regularly over a long period of time. I think Silas' time and money would be best spent pounding the pavement and making personal contacts.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the input guys - I just wondered what you guys thought about it - it seems odd that we would help clients get a tv commercial created and aired, but never run one ourselves.....of course the type of people who need video (commercials and web infomercials) are limited compared to other services and national products and chains.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business