Release Form Needed? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 26th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Josh -- the way the legal process works these days, the answer is "all of the above." Always CYA (cover your assets).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The people whose faces are "blured" out, either did not sign a release, or could not be reached with one.

Josh, the short answer to your question is "yes". They will sue everybody. Whoever isn't judgement proof (broke) will pay.
Bill
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

Ah crap. I better tell these guys, 'cause for the most part, they have no idea what the hell they're doing.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #19
New Boot

Fair Use

Any Photo or Video of Anyone in a public place (or accessible from a public place or Given access via a Press Pass.). Can be used in any TV/Magazine/Newspaper/ ....... without release.
This is called "FAIR USE"

Fair use is how all Sports/News/Entertainment... Photo/Video Images show up on TV or in print.

The photo or Video can not be used for Advertisement or product endorsement.

In other words .
If you have Photo/Video Images of a Event or A person of interest. You may sell (per use) them to a Media outlet.
But you may not sell the image to the public for commercial gain.

There is a lot more to this subject. You would need to do some legal searches on copyright and fair use.
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Any Photo or Video of Anyone in a public place (or accessible from a public place or Given access via a Press Pass.). Can be used in any TV/Magazine/Newspaper/ ....... without release.
This is called "FAIR USE"
Sorry, but that's completely wrong. Fair use is a doctrine which applies to copyright and trademark. The rights that are implicated here are rights of publicity, which are subject to state law. Most states preclude commercial appropriation of likeness without permission. As others have mentioned, there is generally an exception for news reporting.

Quote:
Fair use is how all Sports/News/Entertainment... Photo/Video Images show up on TV or in print.
Um, no, it's not. Sports venues generally have release printed on the ticket.

Quote:
There is a lot more to this subject. You would need to do some legal searches on copyright and fair use.
Sorry, but this topic has nothing to do with copyright or fair use.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #21
New Boot

I am not going to reply

There is so much mis-information in this one thread. It stifles the imagination!
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #22
Wrangler

A suggestion, Tom . . . spend some time here before you put your foot in it again.

Paul N. Tauger, Esq.
California State Bar Number 160552
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:13 PM   #23
Major Player

I have noticed on a number of TV shows featuring "real video" footage have begun using blurry dots to hide people's identity.

One recent show I saw included a woman in a church choir robe playing a piano at a wedding. Her face was blurred out.

I wonder if an individual has a right to control their whole image and not just an imgae of their face?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
I wonder if an individual has a right to control their whole image and not just an image of their face?
The statutes usually preclude commercial appropriation of "likeness." I have no idea whether "likeness" has ever been construed to mean something other than face, though I can certainly think of instances in which it probably could. With respect to defamation liability, of which false light is a species, the test is whether it is understood to whom the subject of the defamation refers. If someone with a sufficiently unique and identifiable physique or profile (Alfred Hitchcock comes to mind, though, of course, the dead can't be defamed) were the subject of false light defamation, they'd be able to maintain an action, even if their face was not shown.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business