How much to charge? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old April 11th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #1
Major Player

How much to charge?

Just wondering what the professional standard rate for:

Birthday Parties
Music Videos for unsigned bands
Wedding/Barmitzvah Videos
Misc. Events
Skateboarding Videos

would be?

I'm trying to get a part time business off the ground and am looking at price determination for a semi-professional yet high quality project. Keep in mind, this is coming from a teenager still living with his parents, I'm really only looking for money to purchase leisure goods and start up a nest egg for any feature projects I might pursue...The issue of $1000 for one screen minute is phenomenal for me, Something around $100 would suffice me.

I'm not too confident about tackling Wedding/Barmitzvah videos just yet...Can good results be achieved with these with a one-man crew/single camera or should I not even try?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Aviv,

I see no one has come forward to offer you advice. I teach students not much older than you and I tell them this:

When you are starting out...

1. Don’t take projects that you can't complete.

2. If the work is for a private citizen, find out how much they want to spend
and work for that money (or not).

3. If you work for a business, initially set your rate at around 250/day. It's a solid figure that is tried and true in this market and others for new shooters.

4. Always get half of the cost of the production before you shoot. Unless you have a good working/paying relationship with that client or they represent the potential for more shoots, like network gigs etc.; collecting the back half when you turn over the product.

5. Try to develop a 'proposal or treatment' for each client after your initial production meeting, not a contract. That way everyone knows what is expected of him or her.

It's important that you try not to turn down projects over money issues when you first get started. Remember, every piece you put on tape will make you or break you, do as good a job on the $100 stuff as you do on the more expensive stuff.

Good luck man, as you gain experience and reputation your rate will go as high as you want.
Dave Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks a lot!

Money isn't really that much of an issue for me as I'm living at home, but I'd like to earn something. When it comes to corporate stuff, $250 a day for the shoot, but how do you measure the editing hours? $250 a day for that too?
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You could charge that sure... but if you are very confident that your editing is 'top notch' (better than most in your market) then you can set your price at whatever you wish.

Just be sure to do it in advance and look closely at the amount of editing time you think it will take to finish the piece.

The best editors in my market make upwards of 350 to 450 per hour, but they have people paying them who expect to pay that type of money. And many national/international pieces to there credit.

Be flexible, work with your client’s budget and give them more than they think they are going to get. After you have had some success, then set your editing rate to reflect it.

You can get top dollar for editing if you have the reel and the client list, work good and hard to develop those two things.
Dave Herring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business