law regarding using classical music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Major Player

law regarding using classical music

classical music? who owns the rights to it.. whatever symphony recorded it? can i use it here in canada for free since its so old?
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

There are indeed property rights to the recording itself. However, if you happen to know a symphonic orchestra, you could use most classical music. Again, you will want to search for any other rights that might bite you later.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

In addition to the recording company, orchestra and individual artists, the publisher of the musical scores may have some rights as well.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

There is a copyright in the recording that belongs to whomever made it. There can also be copyright in the arrangement. Unless they are also composers, musicians have no rights in a musical recording.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not a lawyer, but I think this is correct. If the composer has been dead for 75 years, and if the family or other agency has not purposely extended the rights, then the sheet music is fair use. Even a newer "arrangement" would be fair use, as the arrangement is only a derivative of the original, and has no rights.
Your problem is in the rights of the performers. Any performance recorded after 1923 is protected, and there is basically no way around it.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel
I'm not a lawyer, but I think this is correct. If the composer has been dead for 75 years, and if the family or other agency has not purposely extended the rights, then the sheet music is fair use. Even a newer "arrangement" would be fair use, as the arrangement is only a derivative of the original, and has no rights.
Your problem is in the rights of the performers. Any performance recorded after 1923 is protected, and there is basically no way around it.
Arrangements are protected separately as derivative works -- using them would result in copyright infringement.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business