How much do I charge? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #16
Trustee

[QUOTE=Craig Seeman]Yes, I make a few thousand dollars a year from craigslist and at the rate I ask for too.

SNIP

Thanks for the first hand info. It's nice to know that someone's actually making an profit off the craigslist kind of work.

(I do note you're in NYC, and I've got to believe that "a few thousand" - while a fine side income - probably isn't really a "livable" wage for someone trying to survive in the Big Apple! :)

Still, it's cool that you're finding clients that will pay your asking rates on CL. It might make it worthwhile for other folks to check it out.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Bill, you're right, I couldn't make a living on craigslist alone. One does have to keep to a wage that is comperable to what one needs to live on though. In other words if I need to make X dollars a week at approximately 25 billable hours, that's what I charge. I may only get 5 hours of work a week from craigslist but it's at my rate. The rest of my income comes from noncraigslist clients.

craigslist in NYC has its own absurdity. I see people charging rates that can't possibly pay the rent, let alone video business expenses. I also see businesses (yes, BUSINESSES) asking for "interns" with experience. I refuse to compete in "that" market.

Hold to the rate you should make and you'll find a few sensible people who will pay it.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business