How much do I charge? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Major Player

How much do I charge?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so I'm sorry if it's not. Here's a quick overview of the past few days: I posted a generic post on CL to contact me if anyone had any weddings or other events coming up, and I've received a few requests already for non-1-time shoots. A few companies are asking me how much I charge for a video they can have online that tells about who they are, their product and the like.

I've worked a few weddings before and I know how much to charge there. But for something like this, I don't have any idea. The final product will be short (anywhere from 15s to 1m). Ideas?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Helping Hands to Taking Care of Business.

CL = Craig's List.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so I'm sorry if it's not. Here's a quick overview of the past few days: I posted a generic post on CL to contact me if anyone had any weddings or other events coming up, and I've received a few requests already for non-1-time shoots. A few companies are asking me how much I charge for a video they can have online that tells about who they are, their product and the like.

I've worked a few weddings before and I know how much to charge there. But for something like this, I don't have any idea. The final product will be short (anywhere from 15s to 1m). Ideas?
I'm reminded of this comercial on TV from some technology college, the mouthpiece says, 'How much are you worth in the workplace.'

That's what you have to ask yourself, 'how much are you worth?' How much are you wanting to work that job as well?

You could low ball it, and end up giving away potential money, and get the job, but end up with much more of a headache because you'll spend more in time and effort and get less of a reward.

I think most people here have a hourly rate, which should be inline with your equipment commitment, time etc, as well as your geographic area's standard.

Corporate is different than event videography. The end result is definitely different because often you're producing more DVD's than weddings.

So I doubt anyone here can tell you how much to charge, but I would not sell yourself short, but I wouln't shoot the moon either. Just find a rate that is fair to you and them and stick with it.

Your experience level +Your gear + shooting time + editing/conversion time + hard product production = how much you should charge. Or something like that.

Peace out.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis

Your experience level +Your gear + shooting time + editing/conversion time + hard product production = how much you should charge. Or something like that.

Peace out.
4 years + XL1s & Gl2 + 3 hours + 5 hours + ? = 41235. So if I move the decimal, it should be 412.35. I guess that's what I'm worth?

Hmmm ... maybe I should ask "what do you guys charge, and what do you offer on the given situation?"
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Trustee

-EDIT

Sorry,
At first I thought you were looking for prices for a wedding.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle
4 years + XL1s & Gl2 + 3 hours + 5 hours + ? = 41235. So if I move the decimal, it should be 412.35. I guess that's what I'm worth?

Hmmm ... maybe I should ask "what do you guys charge, and what do you offer on the given situation?"
How in the world did you come up with that number? The camera rental alone would probably be worth at least $200-300. Come up with an hourly charge and do your best to estimate how long the project will take you overall. Check out what other people are charging. Always best to start a bit high, feel them out, then give them a discount. Everybody wants a deal.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
How in the world did you come up with that number? The camera rental alone would probably be worth at least $200-300. Come up with an hourly charge and do your best to estimate how long the project will take you overall. Check out what other people are charging. Always best to start a bit high, feel them out, then give them a discount. Everybody wants a deal.
The number was from all the numbers in the equation compressed together.

I'm trying to see what others are charging. thus, this post. Anyone? Anyone?
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #9
Major Player

LOL, HaHa, I get it, that's funny. I would go ahead and flip the order around so you're making a bit more!

If you are going to include the equipment, just do an hourly charge. $50 / hr? $75 / hr? What are you worth? If you would be happy making $400 for 8 hours work, then charge the $50 rate. If you think they're willing to go with the $75, that will make you $600. Would you be happier with that? Or just tell them the flat project rate.

I don't think you're going to find a sure answer here. Everybody will tell you their opinion based on what "they" can get. If you're good at your craft as well as a good salesman, you should be able to get whatever you want within reason.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For corporate (or any work really), break down all your expenses (including food and housing as well as cost of paying off equipment for example) and figure what you need to charge for a 20-25 hour work week. That'll give you an hourly rate. The rest of the "unpaid" work week is "running your business" such as those unpaid client contacts, marketing, paperwork, checking gear, etc.

You base position is to charge enough to break even, add business growth, lifestyle (vacation time and life's fun things you want to have time/money for) comensurate with your experience.

Estimate how much time it will take to shoot and edit and FINITE revisions and you can give them a total estimate.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Trustee

From my very limited experience with CL - I'd expect that if you posted the$412.35 number - you'd get responses. But virually ALL of them would offer back end participation deals or deferred pay - or "show credits" and "a great project for your reel" and then mention that the gig requires you to be avaialbe 14 hours a day - every day - for a week.

Seriously, has anyone here EVER made any livable money working with a client that came from Craigs List?

Just wondering.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis
From my very limited experience with CL - I'd expect that if you posted the$412.35 number - you'd get responses. But virually ALL of them would offer back end participation deals or deferred pay - or "show credits" and "a great project for your reel" and then mention that the gig requires you to be avaialbe 14 hours a day - every day - for a week.

Seriously, has anyone here EVER made any livable money working with a client that came from Craigs List?

Just wondering.
Yeah, I guess I'll be finding that out pretty soon. I'm not in a high dollar job right now (which is what my degree is in), so I need some money on the side so I can get married.

This has been really helpful. Thanks everyone. Anyone else?
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Yes, I make a few thousand dollars a year from craigslist and at the rate I ask for too.

When you post ads, SPECIALIZE rather than "I do everything."
Have demos to prove your specialty.
Don't include price in ad but do when you send links to demo.

When responding to ads, include links to RELEVANT demos, price and exactly what you provide plus options.

Also keep in mind that at least SOME of the apparent "bottom feeders" simply don't know what things cost. Show them a demo and a price and once and a while they'll come up to meet your price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis
From my very limited experience with CL - I'd expect that if you posted the $412.35 number - you'd get responses. But virtually ALL of them would offer back end participation deals or deferred pay - or "show credits" and "a great project for your reel" and then mention that the gig requires you to be averrable 14 hours a day - every day - for a week.

Just wondering.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Major Player

How long is a piece of string?
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
How long is a piece of string?
Probably an inch shorter than I need. Why?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business