DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Royalty Free Music (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/978-royalty-free-music.html)

William Velasquez October 3rd, 2003 12:47 PM

Where can I see previews of these clips??

John Heskett October 14th, 2003 05:33 PM

Hey Tom.

Like William said,
Where can I see previews of these clips?

You can e-mail me at breath@safe-mail.net

Tom Howard October 16th, 2003 07:12 AM

Thanks for the reply's

Hi

We received an order for 100 serenity videos from a church. Based on a preview from these clips.
So we are now editing for making SERENITY DVD's & video's
I really do not think I will sell the clips now as there seems to be a market via Churches.
I would hate to sell them and then find they were used for a competitive product.

Bryan McCullough October 17th, 2003 08:09 PM

Nice work Tom.

What exactly is a Serenity Video? Just some nice pictures with easy music or is there more to it?

Sounds like you got a good little score there.

Tom Howard October 20th, 2003 04:04 AM

serenity videos

Yes thats about it.
Not That great a deal but it is somthing.
Sort of like fireplace videos

John Stanley July 6th, 2005 04:11 PM

Royalty music for memorial videos.

Hi,
I am starting to do tribute videos for people and I want to work within the law on background music. I have Apple's soundtrack, so instrumentals are not really an issue. And, I'm aware of sites like freeplay.com. Someone told me recently that they've heard of companies using music that is recent, such as a country hit, but sung by a different artist. Is anyone aware of a site that sells popular music with vocals for synching to video? Again, I have the instrumental side covered, for the most part.
Thanks,
-John

Zach Mull July 6th, 2005 05:52 PM

If you want to stay within the law, I don't think covers of recent country hits are an option. The copyright covers the song for more than versions performed by the original artist. People who do covers or even sample other musicians' songs normally pay royalties. Sorry I can't offer anything positive, but I can tell you to stay away from that because it would not be legal.

John Stanley July 7th, 2005 10:07 AM

Thank you for the reply. So, I guess the only way to stay within the law is to use original music. The stuff that Soundtrack produces is fine. I am going to serach these forums some more about copyright info. I just don't see it as feasible to license each song, there's just not enought time to do that. Maybe there's a blanket license...I don't know.
Thanks again,
_ john

Steven Gotz July 7th, 2005 10:11 AM

We all wish that were so. But the price of licensing music is way to high to be justified by any reasonable budget.

Find a young band you like and produce their music video for them in exchange for rights to use their music.

Greg Boston July 7th, 2005 10:20 AM

Steve,

That's precisely what I have done with a local band. They have enough of their own original material for me to use. Although, I am also a musician and have ways to create my own, it never hurts to get some help when under a time crunch.

-gb-

John Stanley July 8th, 2005 07:28 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get a friend to let me use her recordings of public domain music for a fee. Plus, I tried my first memorial video with music from Soundtrack and it works perfectly.
Thanks again,
- John

Matt Champagne July 9th, 2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Someone told me recently that they've heard of companies using music that is recent, such as a country hit, but sung by a different artist
I think I can explain what they are talking about there. You see once a piece of music has been recorded, to license it requires two different types of licenses one for the song as intellectual property (publishing rights) and one for the recording itself. If the song is resung by a different artist you avoid the second set of licenses. Publishing rights can be negotiated through the publisher, or even that can be avoided alltogether if the publisher won't negotiate and you can obtain what is called a "compulsory license" meaning for a set industry price the writer HAS to license the song to you provided you pay and that the song has been recorded and released at least once. However, I am not entirely certain that this can give you syncronization rights...so obviously ask a lawyer or publisher.

John Stanley July 10th, 2005 09:38 AM

Wow! Thanks, Matt.
That all makes sense, and I do need to talk to a lawyer about this.
Also, I have a meeting next week with the guy who told me about the music and I can look into the company's selection and do a little research there. I will post back with what I find next week.
Thanks again,
- john

Matt Sawyers October 27th, 2006 11:04 AM

I use http://www.freeplaymusic.com

Jason Robinson October 30th, 2006 01:14 PM

Magnatune.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Sawyers

Magnatune.com has a license specifically targeting weddings and low unit productions. The prices is a bit high (to me) ($150-ish) for a song or so and you will need multiple licenses if you intend to distribute through the internet. If the internet is used, then they want a cut depending on traffic (?!?!).

I have been serriously looking at shockwave-sound as well as getting to know good hobbiest musicians. Shockwave sound charges near $70 a song, but you OWN that song for any use below 10,000 unit productions, including internet.

I recently found a good pianist with a CD out and got his permission to use his tracks for FREE. I'm going to pump traffic to him to help him out as my part of the deal (once his site is up). he is basically burning CDs to pay for his college, so you gotta love that.

jason