Settings for less jittery dollys or pans at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Settings for less jittery dollys or pans

Hi all, I am using a XHA1 shooting 24fps and 1/48th sec. shutter speed. I am very careful to pan or dolly slowly. My footage is very jittery. I watch commercials and lower cost productions that Im sure use cameras and frame rates like I but I dont see any any jitter. I edit in PPro CS3 and use Encore to make DVD's. I use Mpeg 2. I dont have a clue what I am doing so is there any known encoding settings or something that will help me with hdv footage to look better upon playback.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

is image stab on? it is known to cause stuttering in panning and moving shots. Also the noise reduction settings in presets can cause jerky movements.
Kurt Zhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

No its even when rotating around a subject and the background jitters or when someone walks through the shot. I see other productions that dont have that problem. what else?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Major Player

I think it has to do with how the Canon does 24f. I have a JVC HD110 and at 24p 1/48th I have no issues. It acts like a 16mm movie film. I had a Canon A1 for a day and shot some 24f and it really did seem jerky in a way the JVC wasn't. I didn't have time to go through the manual and see if the owner of the camera had something weird going on. I can't say I know my around the camera very well. I did notice the footage was overly sharpened. You might try to see about dropping the detail or edge enhancement down a little.

Where you on manual focus? Fairly large aperture? check edge enhancements/sharpness settings and try dropping it slightly.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lyons View Post
Hi all, I am using a XHA1 shooting 24fps and 1/48th sec. shutter speed. I am very careful to pan or dolly slowly. My footage is very jittery. I watch commercials and lower cost productions that Im sure use cameras and frame rates like I but I dont see any any jitter. I edit in PPro CS3 and use Encore to make DVD's. I use Mpeg 2. I dont have a clue what I am doing so is there any known encoding settings or something that will help me with hdv footage to look better upon playback.
Do you render to NTSC (29.97 fps)? If so, the judder probably has to do with the pulldown applied to your footage, when the software takes 4 frames and "stretches" it into 5 (to go from 24 to 29.97 fps).

The standard pulldown method applies a 3:2 pulldown, but if you have the option select 2:3:3:2 pulldown, which has much less judder.

Wikipedia has an excellent article on pulldown. It's a little long, but that's because it explains everything with illustrations. It might appear complicated the first time, but it's quite simple once you "grok" it.

Telecine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production