Indie Filmmaking Guide at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Indie Filmmaking Guide

Throughout my research on how to become a filmmaker I've struggled, but have learned some very valuable information. I barely knew anything when I started this research and thought it would be nice to jot down the stuff I've learned and offer it to anyone who wants it.

I must say that the guide I wrote up is a very basic overview of filmmaking and is geared towards the beginner. There might be some valuable stuff in there for the veterans too if you want to check it out as well.

Well, if anyone wants to check it out, I'm offering it for free at my site. www.bohoc.org

Thanks!
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Adam, I've moved your thread to the "Techniques for Indepedent Production"
forum. I think it it more at home there since it share's knowledge about what
is out there and what it all means.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds good. Wasn't sure on where to put it. :)

Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Adam,

I just got around to checking out your guide and wanted to say thanks for putting it together. I'm somewhat experienced and still learned a couple new things from going through it. It was also nice to see many of the tricks and tools that I use validated by another.

Anyways, you're right - it's definately geared towards the beginner, but when I was starting out I don't remember such things being easily available!
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevan Arychuk
Hey Adam,

I just got around to checking out your guide and wanted to say thanks for putting it together. I'm somewhat experienced and still learned a couple new things from going through it. It was also nice to see many of the tricks and tools that I use validated by another.

Anyways, you're right - it's definately geared towards the beginner, but when I was starting out I don't remember such things being easily available!
Hey thanks Stevan! You are very correct that it's really hard for beginners to find this stuff without just digging around in countless places. That's exactly why I put it together. Thanks again. Glad you were able to get even a few new things. :)
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Just updated the guide - I wanted to track how many times the guide was downloaded so I put it as an attachment on my message board. So if you want to download it you have to register on my board - but don't worry I won't use your contact info AT ALL!! I just wanted to know how many times the guide was being downloaded. :)

You can get version 1.5 at http://www.bohoc.org/guide.htm
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #7
Major Player

How do you register?
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Alex,

Just click on the register button on the menu to register. Shoot me an email if you are having any trouble.
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm not seeing a register button, and...in fact, not even sure if I'm seeing a menu.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Are you clicking on the hyperlink beneath the download section of the link I provided above? And if so, that should take you to my forum, which has a register button along the top 3rd of the page.
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Adam,

I've got to tell you, your weblink and website and webforum is the single most confusing experience I've had on the web in a long while.

I'm interested in reading your guide because you've contributed some good comments in the DVinfo forum here, but I cannot find the actual download link in your web presence.

I registered (which is not very intuitive) and then received my "Activation Email" and then activated my new account on your forum and then... where is the download link???
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Hey Patrick,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My forum is actually just a typical message board so if it is confusing, there's not much I can do to change it. I chose SMF forum because of all the functionality it has. It really is a great message board, and it's 100% free no less! The guide is simply an attachment within the "Indie Filmmaking Guide" thread. Just click into that thread (after logging in of course) and there is a hyperlink to download the guide. If you are still having difficulty finding the guide, shoot me an email, and I can just send you a copy by email. However, I update this guide pretty much every couple of weeks, so you may want to become familiar with my forum's interface in case you want to download updated versions.
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

I have to agree, this is pretty frustrating experience. I have registered but
have yet to receive an e-mail (no spam filtering going on, so it didn't get
"stuck" in one).

I've registered with my full name and my e-mail address in my signature below.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Major Player

Hey all, OK, I apologize about the confusion. I just wanted to be able to track the downloads.

I've changed the site so now all you need to do is to click on the link to download it. Sorry about that again. Feel free to drop me a line at any time if you have any comments about the guide.

Go ahead and click on this link to "Indie Filmmaking Guide" and then click on the current revision.

Thanks again all for your comments!!
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Adam,

I did finally locate the link to download. It was in a barely visible green color in very small type underneath your description of the latest version. I downloaded and reviewed and I think you are creating a very useful document to fledgling video filmakers. You should not be deterred from updating this, but somehow you have to make the link to download the guide more noticable (larger font, or the standard blue underlined text indicatitng a link, or something). Good job. Thanks for the peek.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production