has anyone seen this yet?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 31st, 2005, 01:20 PM   #1
Major Player

has anyone seen this yet??

just read a post in video industry news about this movie shot with a canon XL2 and here is the trailer. I am probably the one with the least credentials here, but this looks alot like "film" to me. They did a great job. http://www.leaveittochance.info
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, there's a thread on DV for the masses about that film already... It does look pretty good.
Dave Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi;

I wouldn't say it looks like film I'd say it looks like a more appealing video! (to me at least) Strangely (for DV) it's that craned wide shot that really pulls off a "film moment" But most of it looks like what I'd expect from decently shot XL2 footage, a good thing.

Olly
Rachel Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Nice, but looks like video.
James Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Major Player

There's something that I'm guilty of, too, in the first shot of the "new" trailer: shaky dolly shots. Dead give-away that's it not a film-film.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Major Player

maybe the composition, not the medium

I guess for the first time I am seeing how cinema-like a "video" can be. Maybe it's not because it was so much like actual "film" as it is a video that has some of the same quality "composition" that you would find at a movie on the silver screen. This is the first footage (as far as I know) of a full length feature that I have watched that was shot on MiniDigital Video. Pretty neat indeed.
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I wouldn't see that movie either, but I'll tell you one thing -- that actress is hot! I thought the exteriors looked really impressive for video. That's tough to expose.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Trustee

OK, is it me or are those outside shots (The first two with the two guys) greenscreened?

That would explain the exposure.

Aaron
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

There are still photos on the site showing them shooting exteriors using a gold reflector. The with the reflector appears to be standing in a shadow though. How's that work?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:51 AM   #10
New Boot

looks a LOT like video to me
Danny Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Yea, I agree most of it looks like video as well. The best shots are the crane shots. Those are easily the best shots in that trailer and I'm betting are few and far between in the movie.

It looks alright, but I've seen better.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yes. I agree with you guys. it does look like video most of the time. it looks good for a movie that would be shown in tv do.. that is.. cause it looks like a good video. The callenge is also when there gonna blow it up to 35mm if there gonna want to show it on a movie theatre... that would be hard.
Angel Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #13
Major Player

I must be aquiring a more critical eye with this DVinfo net. I read the replys and looked again at the clip and I am starting to see what you are saying. I saw the camera shake a little on the dolly shot and the outside shot with the house in the background does look greenscreened. Most importantly though, it appears to be a well done video.
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #14
New Boot

The best looking of the shots, for my money, is the one near the end with the two running outsid. The composition is nice and the colors are great.
Chris Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #15
Major Player

video v. film

From what I can tell and have been learning lately, once 24p is achieved, the next puzzle piece in having video look like film is having a shallow DOF (although it is debated which should come first).
The shots are well composed and well lit (except for the gold foreground, blue background shot), what remains is having that narrow focus to tell the viewer exactly what is important in the shot and what to be looking at. That's the only thing left here that cries video to me (apart from the shaky dolly).

For my next short, I'm going to try and see how well I can do this without buying or making one of those mini35 contraptions. It's possible with careful camera/actor placement combined with zoomed-in shots and fully open apertures.

It might be a while before I get a chance, though. I'll be sure to post a thread when I do.

-Chad
www.terpstar.com
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production