Digital Video SMOKIN' !!!!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Digital Video SMOKIN' !!!!!!!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows the reasoning behind adding smoke to a movie scene. I can recall seeing this done whenever I see a "behind the scenes look" at a movie being produced. The crew shuffles across the scene with a smoke thing-ama-jing just before the director says action. I can't remember specifics, but I do remember thinking to myself that the particular scene being shot would not be looking for a "smoke-filled" room look, like a bar or something (as far as I could tell). I'm just wondering if this smoke is done to just give a softer look and take away some of the sharpness. Or, I'm just plain wrong and the scenes characters are supposed to be chain smokers (or maybe the script calls for a fire-breathing dragon to be in the next room). I did a search on this smoke, but didn't answer my question. P.S. would anyone else agree that smoke, fog and mist looks great in Noir, black and white? Comments Please.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Steve,

One might smoke a room to accentuate the lighting, to catch light in the particles to create beams of light. Without something in the air, you wouldn't see the beams of light, only where the light falls and is reflected.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I see what you mean Joshua. The light becomes more tangible and is one more way to manipulate the asthetics of the scene.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production