Who gets the script? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 4th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Who gets the script?

People, from art directors, to AD, almost everyone involved in the production has been requesting for the full script.

Just a survey,
Who do you guys think should have the full script, other than the directors, producers and actors?

Do you give your script out to most people involved in the production? which personel do you give your script to?
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I think it would be easier to say who doesn't need a script... The grips, the p.a.'s, and the book keepers.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Personally I think everyone who wants the script gets it, especially if it is low-budget. I want everyone on the set, even the PAs, to know what they are trying to make. Some of them don't need it artistically, but if they are working for me for free or cheap I'd like them to know why. I'd like them to be excited to help make it happen. People like the AD and Art Director I think absolutely need the script, without question, if they are going to help in a meaningful way. The Art Director has to know where it is all going, and the AD needs, if nothing else, to know (or make) the shot list.

I guess my question back to you would be why not share the script? Is someone going to leak a big surprise to the public? Or produce their own version of the film? I'm not sure.
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Some directors do not give their actors the (full) script to prevent them from overintellectualizing or developing line readings.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Some directors do not give their actors the (full) script to prevent them from overintellectualizing or developing line readings.
That can make sense sometimes. Things like, for instance, person A is conning person B in the script... it could make sense for the director to not let person B know that they are being conned so that they don't react as if they know it.

A better actor will sometimes be offended by that, however, because it says that you do not trust them to be in the moment of the character.
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Obviously, all the creative HEADS need the script, and the actors need a copy, though walkons and bit parts only need their scenes. Beyond that, it's your call. Yes, in a freebee situation, it can be a big help to get people excited by giving them a full script. Unless you are paranoid about having it "stolen" or "leaked"... no harm in it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Unless you are paranoid about having it "stolen" or "leaked"... no harm in it.
Alot of people are way to afraid of that happening...I mean think about it. Anyone who is going to go through all the trouble of making a movie (and we all know how much trouble that is)...probably isn't going to go through that trouble because they think your idea is so amazing that they can totally steal it and make a profit. The people insane enough to actually attempt making a movie, only want to do so to prove their own creativity and ability.

If you can afford the ink/printing costs...why not give the script to whoever wants it? Or better yet email it, make a pdf file...whatever. Everyone can use the script...especially the creative portion of the crew. I've even found myself needing more than one copy of the script (say if I'm DP and an actor and I need to scribble notes concerning each task)

If you tell someone you need a dessert location...and they find and book you a place in arizona...and you have a scene with people riding a camel over a sand dune...you have a serious problem. Its very easy to give someone a general instruction which you think seems specific because you are already thinking in the context of your film...but if they don't have a script then they don't have that context. For wardrobe...if you say a fancy suit...does that mean a tux, a sports coat, a car salesman's type of jacket, or a 1940's style gangster suit?

There are a few thousand scripts on triggerstreet.com...and to my knowledge not one has ever been stolen and made into a film without the writers consent. With the exception of creative reasons why you wouldn't give a person a script (in regards to Emre's post)...there is no reason not to give the script to anyone and everyone involved.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Dessert Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
If you tell someone you need a dessert location...and they find and book you a place in arizona...and you have a scene with people riding a camel over a sand dune...you have a serious problem.
Yes, because you probably meant someplace like Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Matt- That is why you should have a Location scout and manager, and a wardrobe person. These people will be up to speed on everything, long before production starts. At least, they should be...
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, because you probably meant someplace like Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors.
haha definately...I proved my point rather well accidently due to my inability to spell.
Matt Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Hehe

But hey, ice cream hits the spot in the desert!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey, but if you spell dessert in the script they will still think it's baskin robbins haha.

so even with passings of the script i still think it's good to go through the script with relevant people so that everyone's on the same page :)
and yes, agree with what you guys have said.
Michael Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production