60i to 30p- dv natively 60i, need clarification - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old August 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Bill,

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 60i timeline, they will all look as they were shot.

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 30p timeline, they will all look as they were shot.

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 24p timeline, I have no idea, but I don't think the result will be too good. Likely it will just drop frames from the 30p and 60i footage.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 01:34 PM   #17
Major Player

Theoretically that sounds good. :) But from what I just read (googled it), in a 60i timeline some people's 24PA footage looks good but not their 24P footage, and for others, their 24P footage looks good (in 60i timeline) but not their 24PA footage.

And there's this: "If your original footage is 60i, then make your project settings 24p and set deinterlace to blend, and render out to NTSC 24p with 3-2 pulldown. Works every time for me... So, project is set to 24p (no pulldown here), render out to 24p with pulldown to get back to 29.97 interlaced for print-to-tape."

Lordy!! :head spinning:
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Provost
Bill,

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 60i timeline, they will all look as they were shot.

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 30p timeline, they will all look as they were shot.

If you put 24p, 30p, and 60i in a 24p timeline, I have no idea, but I don't think the result will be too good. Likely it will just drop frames from the 30p and 60i footage.
-----------------
30p is also possible. However, this is really just shifting the burden to your DVD player to add the pulldown so the final output is the 60i your TV requires.

Josh
Josh,

That was helpful, thank you. Makes sense.

Bill- I hear ya, it's all... enough to make ones head explode.

I've read MANY different variations of all of this, all pretty much saying the same thing- but there often many ways of achieving the same result.

I dont know.

This was helpful discussion, and I'm sure one that will persist for some time as the 'new' technology is streamlined into a straightforward process and people begin to 'absorb' its theory/technical concepts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production