Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding? - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 06:24 AM   #211
Inner Circle

Re: Is FrameForge worth buying for storyboarding?

Emotions are the reason that advertising works so well for brands.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:06 AM   #212
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I feel that everything turns out better in the planning phase then the final execution and thought maybe I could use a co-director who is more aware of handling problems during shooting, where as I feel I am much better in the planning phase.

But I feel like I take a good amount of the advice on here though. I was told not to break the 180 degree rule except in certain circumstances, so I won't do that again, or I was told to not shake the gimbal movement, so I will find a better gimbal operator, etc.

I'm just doing the best I can, but I feel I must keep pushing forward, but that's good in a way, isn't it?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:22 AM   #213
Inner Circle

I'm not sure how that would work, since the other director may let you do your thing and mostly ignore your storyboard/shot list. You could just end up being the storyboard artist.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:10 AM   #214
Slash Rules!

Yeah. I would say you/Ryan need to learn to get BETTER in the areas where youre weak. I still say (and the ten or more people here and in other threads whove contributed have said as much) you are not ready to make a feature. You keep asking people here for opinons, so do you actually trust what we tell you? I know you dont want to spend money on more shorts but I think you should do some short pieces, paid or not, and practice the types of scenes/techniques youve been asking about before you blow your finances on a feature. Prove to yourself that can actually pull off even a short or simple scene before you jump off a cliff onto a feature and get in over your head.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:27 AM   #215
Inner Circle

I’m not saying you’re obligated to take our advice. Most of your questions aren’t really questions. For example when you ask should you co-direct I can tell you’ve already made up your mind that’s what you’d like to do. If that’s what works for you by all means try it. But I agree with Brian that it’s only natural another director is going want to take over and do things his way and in the process change a lot of what you planned out. As long as you’re ok with that then you should be fine.

I like Josh see this co-director thing as a red flag that you’re not ready to direct a feature film. We aren’t trying to unfairly criticize you. Based on what you’ve told us you seem to perpetually throwing yourself into difficult situations that you’re ill equipped or prepared to handle. It’s better to build off smaller more manageable situations where your chance of success is greater. Creating a low budget feature indie film is really hard not many of us could or would want to take on that task. So there is no shame if you decide that you’d be better at limiting yourself to a smaller role in someone else movie.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:35 AM   #216
Slash Rules!

He probably isnt fine with it. I suspect he still wants all the control he’d have as sole director without the burden of handling the aspects he’s uncomfortable with.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:14 AM   #217
also known as Ryan Wray

Well my biggest weekness is directing good performances out of the actors so i thought i could get a co-director to direct the acting while i direct the shot decisions with the dp and the crew.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:22 AM   #218
Slash Rules!

Right. We’re saying you might have your other wishes outside of the performances ignored and get steamrolled by your co director. In other words he/she may overstep their bounds and do/change more than you want them to. Maybe a contract should be in place to establish clear division of duties and prevent that.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:34 AM   #219
Inner Circle

What you’re describing is you would be the Director of Photography and he/she would be the Director but limited to only acting and you would have final say. It’s a bit odd, I guess you can do whatever you want if you can find someone who would agree to those terms.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 10:36 AM   #220
Inner Circle

The director dealing with the actors may completely change your planned blocking, so that you are well out of your comfort zone because you'll have to think on your feet, plus deal with the possibly that the DP may tend to listen to the other director because they're dealing with the actors.

The successful co directors tend to have a long term working relationships, which can cover a number of roles in which they work as a partnership. The small number of such working relationships show how difficult they are to form and to survive in a world of big egos.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; October 3rd, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 11:41 AM   #221
Inner Circle

Sharing in my humble opinion only ever works where the two people sit down and draw up a formal and agreed allocation of roles AND responsibility. Otherwise, the director wants it done his way, the DoP wants the shot his way and one person must win. I suspect I know it wouldn't be Ryan - he constantly lets people walk all over him even when they are totally clueless. I cannot think of a worse way to lose my money.

Far too often nowadays, the title is more important than what they do. I don't know ANY Directors silly enough to be under the DoP. The Directing role is 100% creative, while the camera role is a mix of art and craft. Difficult to balance with somebody with just one aim.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 11:57 AM   #222
Slash Rules!

But Ryan wouldnt be the DoP...cause he’ll have a separate person with that title.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 12:07 PM   #223
Inner Circle

I’ve said this before half jokingly but I would rather see the behind the scenes reality tv show of the making of these idie pictures. Edited properly that would be vastly more entertaining. “The Reel World” I’m trademarking that! A bunch NYC film school grads living in the same apartment, trying to get their first feature film off the ground.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 12:15 PM   #224
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well i wouldnt be under the dop. My idea was to have a contract in place to address such matters. I just thought a co-director would be good to handle the acting sides of it.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM   #225
Slash Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I’ve said this before half jokingly but I would rather see the behind the scenes reality tv show of the making of these idie pictures. Edited properly that would be vastly more entertaining. “The Reel World” I’m trademarking that! A bunch NYC film school grads living in the same apartment, trying to get their first feature film off the ground.
Thats KINDA what HBO’s Project Greenlight was except it was probably heavily manufactured.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production