Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 71 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 10th, 2020, 12:53 PM   #1051
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
You've also missed up the added horribleness that close in, wide angle AND MOVEMENT makes.

We're taking about compression or expansion - and usually we accept these two processes as distortion. Wide angles expand perspective and telephotos compress it. If the head turns, or the camera rotates around it, the poking out or going in bits change size - so the nose suddenly leaps out and then recedes as the ears enlarge.

We think you do know this, but keep calling it barrel distortion by mistake.

I've been thinking about all this emotional stuff - Maybe this is the part I lack? I'm not an emotional person and when selecting positions, angles, heights and movement all I think about is composition and shot purpose. I don't think I have ever designed a shot by thinking about emotion generation ever. The story generates the emotional content, and any movie that is emotional in intent is one to avoid like the plague for me. I like telling stories and I like images or image sequences to be smooth when required, or 'live' when some kind of excitement/realism is needed.

I can visualise this person looking out, and the camera rotating around them, and in my head the vertical height stays exactly the same, the horizon stays horizontal, and the rotational speed stays constant. The background will probably be sharp, and probably any edits in this sequence would also have identical movement parameters, but narrower angle with blurred background, which would cut together well. The purpose could be the subject seeing things important to the plot, or NOT seeing things he should, or maybe showing him thinking. emotion for me would not be there at all as a drive for the shot, as I don't understand the use of 'emotion' as a shot driver.
Oh okay, I choose I think about composition and shot purpose as well, but I also consider emotion combined with it, when thinking about the shots...

Like for example, there is a scene in a moving car where two people are driving. I could shoot from the front, with the camera going in the window, and I might for some shots. But I also want close up shots from the back seat. Cause it creates a mysterious emotional feel, since you cannot see as much of their faces, like they are being watched, or being followed, which is kind of what is happening.

That is just one example of emotional feel, cause if I were going without emotion, then I might just shoot in through the windshield for a more frontal view of the face, if that makes sense.

But when it comes to how the face is shaped, if I think that the face is bit too narrow and too pointy with a 50mm lens for example, then should I say there is too much 'expansion', in a 50mm?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:00 PM   #1052
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Oh okay, but I feel that the zoom or dolly in, will not have quite the same emotional impact as the circling around in this case. I don't think there is a rule that this kind of camera movement belong in music videos only, I've seen movement just as elaborate than this done in movies, so I think it's okay. When I said impact, I meant emotional impact. I didn't mean to imply I wasn't going for emotion..
Sorry but your shot has zero emotional impact. that comes from a connection with the character. It's just you trying to be clever with a shot, it's film student stuff.

"Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" is on TV here and the static shots in that film carry has more anxiety than your proposed shot.

A circular shot will only work if it's wider and reveals the cops moving in closer on the character. It's a pointless shot in CU/ .
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:01 PM   #1053
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I have intercutting shots. You see the cops swarm in and you also see the close up him, looking around himself as the camera moves around him as they swarm in. So you have cuts of the cops coming in to fill the gap. The viewers will still know he is being surrounded therefore, wouldn't they?

But I was told before to come up with my own shots, and don't be influenced by others so much. So I am trying to storyboard the movie, my original way, rather than trying to be influenced from what I've seen before. How does one come up with their own shots, without it coming off as 'film student stuff'?
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:08 PM   #1054
Inner Circle

I knew what you're cutting to, but the audience isn't going to catch onto his anxiety because of your distracting shot. A static with his eyes moving as he follows the cops moving in around him will convey more anxiety and emotion. .
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:10 PM   #1055
also known as Ryan Wray

Why won't the audience see the anxiety because of the movement in the shot though? What is it about the shot that would be distracting? I've seen movies where the camera moves all the time to convey character emotion, so why would it be distracting?
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:31 PM   #1056
Inner Circle

It would work of it's Jason Bourne being surrounded and then takes out the cops, but that's not about anxiety.
Old April 10th, 2020, 01:32 PM   #1057
also known as Ryan Wray

Why won't it work for anxiety though?
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:08 PM   #1058
Inner Circle

Because anxiety is an emotion that people register in the eyes of the character and the move spends very little time on the eyes. Also, the move is so unusual, that the audience may not even register any emotions in the character's eyes.

They'll only have one go at picking that up when watching the film, not the ages you've spent thinking about it .
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #1059
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay I didn't think the move was so unusual, I've seen moves like that before as well. Well when you say the eyes, how close to the eyes are we talking here. You mean like so close that all you see is just the eyes mostly, like an extreme CU? Or would a normal CU suffice?
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:40 PM   #1060
Inner Circle

Like everyone is saying circular camera motion doesn’t convey any particular emotion in itself. Heck it’s used commonly in wedding videos. Dam your movie making approach is utterly terrible. Undoubtedly you’re copy pasting the shot from a movie you saw.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:42 PM   #1061
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well I never watch wedding videos so I cannot comment on that. I didn't say that circular motion does not create emotion on it's own. I thought it would be the best choice for this shot in this scene, in this particular context.

But I was told before to come up with my own shots, and don't do what other movies do. So when I do that now, and try to come up with my own, I am told now it's too different. So should I come up with my own shots then, or not?
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:32 PM   #1062
Inner Circle

A camera motion to support anxiety or a feeling of being trapped would be a push in cu to the subject face, not a circular motion of the other actors. A circular motion could be used in the scene but its purpose wouldn’t be for what you suggested and wouldn’t be essential. Wide high shot of them surrounding him, followed by the cu push in to reveal his emotion would be the simplest and most direct way.

This has more to do with using shots that are right to support the purpose of the scene. Trying to be original or trying to copy other movies are examples of doing something for the wrong reasons.
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:40 PM   #1063
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I wanted to do a close up of the character, while the camera was moving around him as you saw his eyes and face, to give the feeling of justice closing in around him and that he is surrounded by a trap.
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:49 PM   #1064
Inner Circle

You’ve already shown us the scene from the movie you want to copy it from and we’ve already explained its not a gimbal shot. Plan shots you can do don’t try to copy what you can’t do.
Old April 10th, 2020, 03:55 PM   #1065
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well it was said before to get a dolly, so I will just do that then. What about a shot like following the actors down a hallway. Would that be a dolly shot or gimbal shot?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production