Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 5th, 2020, 01:44 AM   #961
Inner Circle

Re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

You can discuss the look of the film, a good DP will do that, they'll also tell you what isn't going to work once you've established the look. Gordon Willis did this with Francis Ford Coppola on The Godfather during the filming..
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 08:32 AM   #962
Inner Circle

How exactly will they do this, if the room doesn't allow it? Finding experts often just produces a simple answer "no, we can't do that"

EDIT

I spotted this video in another topic Ryan.
I've no idea of the thought process or technical aspects, but just nicely shot video, nicely edited video, with a sort of story. I suspect it was made because it could be made, with little real need, just a good idea - which was the kids.

Shot and edited then published. Why you don't do things like this is a mystery - you'd learn so much about telling stories.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 11:40 AM   #963
also known as Ryan Wray

If the DP says no we cannot do that, then we can do something else instead. We would still try to get the look as best we could within the location available, wouldn't we? It's not going to look as good as a studio, but the DP would still try to get it as best they could, no?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 12:11 PM   #964
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I spotted this video in another topic Ryan.
I've no idea of the thought process or technical aspects, but just nicely shot video, nicely edited video, with a sort of story. I suspect l

Shot and edited then published. Why you don't do things like this is a mystery - you'd learn so much about telling stories.
I’ve been addicted to Tiktok lately so many funny interesting videos shot with a phone. This is one of my recent favorites tells a story in like 30 seconds. And then we have Ryan planning years at home...

https://vm.tiktok.com/tC1nWh/
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 01:53 PM   #965
also known as Ryan Wray

When working with a DP, is it bad to give them examples from other movies though, just to help? What about when it comes to working with other department heads... When I worked with a composer before, I would give him examples of how I want the music to feel from other movies, but is it bad to do that, and I should describe the music I would like all verbally? I just thought that giving examples were good, but is that copying too much from other movies then, just by showing examples alone?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; April 5th, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old April 5th, 2020, 04:56 PM   #966
Inner Circle

You can use examples from other films, but it's best to keep it general. For example, the director of a short I was DP on wanted to have it looking like Amélie and I managed to set up the camera for that look. However, you don't need to go through it shot by shot. You can also use paintings or other visuals as a general visual reference.

For music, putting in temp tracks is common during the edit, however, some composers don't want to hear them. There it's comes down to discussion, plus there's a wide range of music other than film music that can be used as a reference.
Old April 5th, 2020, 06:30 PM   #967
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I don't have temp tracks in my edits, but I just feel I can explain what I want better through visual or audio references from other examples.

There is another thing I was wondering about. Since I have had trouble controlling the colors of locations, not being able to repaint walls, or not being able to control colors of cars, outdoors, and people say they find colors of things in the background distracting... what if I colored a movie in monochrome color, like old silent films? Every scene is just one color tint then, so it doesn't matter if there are uncontrolled colors in the background because the audience will not see them then? Would monochrome color be a good idea therefore?
Old April 6th, 2020, 12:55 AM   #968
Inner Circle

All this depends on if you're trying to make a pastiche of a silent film or a contemporary film. You just can't throw in a tinted look unless it's part of the overall telling of the story. Like "The Lighthouse" uses black and white.

Who are these "some people"? They seem to reoccur in all your threads.

If a location has an inappropriate colour, don't use it, you go around various locations to find the right one. I know that here the same farm house has been used on a number of films and it looks different in each film because of the art direction.
Old April 6th, 2020, 02:02 AM   #969
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. It's a crime thriller set in a modern times city.

They are just people I have shown my work to, to get opinions. Sometimes I am forced to use a location that may not have something ideal about it though. But then again I could try to change the distracting color only in post, if a color grading program can do it, without creating much noise issues.

Or maybe better, what we could do is light the locations so there is light on the actors, but try to avoid lighting the background a lot, if that's best.
Old April 6th, 2020, 02:39 AM   #970
Inner Circle

You should be aware of the background when you're filming, if it's distracting you should be aware of it at the time, you shouldn't need other people to tell you.

You can rearrange the furniture and/or bring your own furnishings to avoid an inappropriate background.

Lighting can be used to reduce the viewer's eye being attracted to the background and/or you can use a shallower DOF to reduce the background detail. However, the method used must fit in with the overall look of the film.
Old April 6th, 2020, 10:48 AM   #971
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I don't think that shallower DOF is an option for the master shots, unless it's okay to rack focus a lot between a group of actors, but not sure if the viewer will mind that or not.
Old April 6th, 2020, 10:55 AM   #972
Inner Circle

It's done all the time. I think this has already been covered in another thread.
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:06 AM   #973
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, it's just when I see the master shot in a movie, everyone is in focus, and I don't ever recall seeing a movie with rack focusing in a master shot. So as long as it's acceptable, or I am not doing something too weird.
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:34 AM   #974
Inner Circle

I saw this bhs from a movie. Look all the equipment and they even have big blue screen bkgd.
https://vm.tiktok.com/tpuNMe/
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:42 AM   #975
Inner Circle

If it's a shorter focal length lens you may not be aware of any focus adjustments, especially if you're not looking for them.

If you're worried about the background, you'd be using a slightly longer focal length and this is where a dolly comes in for your camera moves.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production