Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:09 PM   #886
Inner Circle

Re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Well I think it's because of the S-log 3 formage being so flat, that you can hardly even see the shadow patterns as a result, until grading later.
If you're shooting in LOG you should be using a monitor with a LUT to properly review the shot. Even without that you should know better to light her from opposite sides and expecting it to look the same.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:14 PM   #887
also known as Ryan Wray

Yes, I told myself next time I am going to figure out how to get LUT onto it. And of course I will watch out a lot more for the lighting. And I will not settle for less for a DP and be sure to get one that has really goodlooking movies under their belt before going ahead with the next project, if that's best.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:19 PM   #888
Inner Circle

As long as you understand going forward that's what's most important.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:25 PM   #889
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah, I think I do... Plus good actors as well. It seems that I have been okay with audio, because no one has ever said anything about my audio so far, accept for a mistake once in a while that needs fixing.

As for a DP, there are some who may be interested, but their lighting is mostly documentary style lighting, in their reels and not sure if that is right for this type of project, especially since I was told my backgrounds are lit too well, which is what documentaries tend to do.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 02:01 PM   #890
Inner Circle

Documentaries have differing lighting styles, some have pretty dark backgrounds..
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 02:09 PM   #891
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah some do, true. Maybe the ones that concentrate on crime more, seem to.

Well I thought maybe film noir style lighting was the way to go, if I can find a DP that is more familiar in that. In the past for a couple of projects, they said they did not think that style was good because of shadows from the actors, but in old film noir movies, you often see shadows of the actors. So is that bad?
Old April 2nd, 2020, 03:04 PM   #892
Inner Circle

Why are you asking? You must know the look you're going for.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 04:16 PM   #893
Inner Circle

The whole point of this tangent was explaining why the scene was jarring and how the inconsistent lighting contributed to it.

Now were off to film noir lighting. I can see Ryan at the rental house, I'd like to rent some film noir lights. While you're at it I need a film noir dp.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; April 2nd, 2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 04:32 PM   #894
Inner Circle

I suspect it might be the reason why all the equipment is already booked at the rental house.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 05:28 PM   #895
also known as Ryan Wray

Well of course I know there are no film noir lights... I was just saying that is probably the type of lighting that would best suit this next project, but it's so far, hard to find a DP that is familiar with that style.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:26 AM   #896
Inner Circle

It's unlikely you'll find a DP in your area who commonly shoots with hard light, since the fashion is currently for soft lighting. You want one who likes film noir and wants to have a go using more fresnel spots instead of using soft lights all the time. So, don't expect to see your film in their show reel.

However, you may find that it takes longer to light and you may need to start from black, so all the windows may need to be blacked out with drapes or similar.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 02:47 AM   #897
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I just thought that film noir would look good since it's a crime thriller and all, and have always liked the look of it, and felt that hard light would add to the mood.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:40 PM   #898
Inner Circle

Sadly I suspect it would look terrible. Mean and moody lighting takes planning and decent equipment and very careful focussing. You'll be moving into risky territory again. No idea why you suddenly get an idea and change everything. Personally - when I had to teach film noire, I hated it, and hated all the examples I had to inflict on the students. At best it's hard work to watch, and the student attempts were dire - poor focus, no detail in the shadows, and just unpleasant.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:53 PM   #899
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well I was just going by what would be fitting by mood, but is there a better lighting style that would work better for this type or production, other than film noir then?
Old April 3rd, 2020, 03:01 PM   #900
Inner Circle

The big problem is that nobody has really produced a definition of what is and what isn't film noir. It could suit you pretty well. Weird and non-standard camera angles - wide or telephoto shots to make perspective look expanded or compressed - lots of shadows and non-conformity with the usual rules (this will mess you up Ryan - no rules?)

The problem is that many poor films get classified as film noir just because they have production mistakes.

Sounds like a recipe for a real mess!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production