Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 1st, 2020, 01:41 PM   #841
Inner Circle

Re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

I can see his friends and family giving him support and encouragement. They probably hoped he would have figured out for himself long ago this wasn't right for him. Unfortunately sounds like Ryan could go in circles for eternity. He seems happy to take any advice or deceive himself as long as it supports his one goal, to make this movie. I could see people who care about him probably tried to steer him into screenwriting or direction not because he is good at it but because there is no financial risk. One thing is clear he ignores all the online advice and seems to only listen to this group of his. I'm guessing they are his only ticket to making his movies so he is in no position to question them.

Someone pointed out he could hire all these positions. While this would result in a better movie, what would the be left for Ryan to do and where is he getting all this money to bank role this? I imagine Ryan is the local Don Quixote, and it's probably easier to allow him to continue on his adventures then try to talk sense to him.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 01:53 PM   #842
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I can see his friends and family giving him support and encouragement. They probably hoped he would have figured out for himself long ago this wasn't right for him. Unfortunately sounds like Ryan could go in circles for eternity. He seems happy to take any advice or deceive himself as long as it supports his one goal, to make this movie. I could see people who care about him probably tried to steer him into screenwriting or direction not because he is good at it but because there is no financial risk. One thing is clear he ignores all the online advice and seems to only listen to this group of his. I'm guessing they are his only ticket to making his movies so he is in no position to question them.

Someone pointed out he could hire all these positions. While this would result in a better movie, what would the be left for Ryan to do and where is he getting all this money to bank role this? I imagine Ryan is the local Don Quixote, and it's probably easier to allow him to continue on his adventures then try to talk sense to him.
When you say what would be left for me to do if I hire all the positioons, isn't that what most people do when they are producing and directing a movie, hire all the positions? As for it not being right for me, everyone, not just friends and family, but other filmmakers I worked with, they say to go for it and that I would do a lot better if I had a better cast, DP and PD, to fill those roles. So I thought I would try that.

But as far as the people who tell me don't do it goes, every filmmaker says that this is normal, that some people are going to say don't do it, but that's normal and every filmmaker is told that. Do they have a point? I've also tried working other jobs, but I was told by people I know, that since this is the profession I want I might as well try, otherwise I will never know, and I will always be questioning it, if I don't try.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 02:11 PM   #843
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
When you say what would be left for me to do if I hire all the positioons, isn't that what most people do when they are producing and directing a movie, hire all the positions? As for it not being right for me, everyone, not just friends and family, but other filmmakers I worked with, they say to go for it and that I would do a lot better if I had a better cast, DP and PD, to fill those roles. So I thought I would try that.
You don't have the money and no one creditable is going to want to work on that screen play you wrote.
Quote:
But as far as the people who tell me don't do it goes, every filmmaker says that this is normal, that some people are going to say don't do it, but that's normal and every filmmaker is told that. Do they have a point? I've also tried working other jobs, but I was told by people I know, that since this is the profession I want I might as well try, otherwise I will never know, and I will always be questioning it, if I don't try.
It would be normal to tell anyone to follow their dreams. Just because you want to doesn't mean you have the ability. You've had sufficient time to prove you're good at this and all the evidence I've seen and heard proves the contrary. You haven't even gotten into a film festival let alone win an award.
Old April 1st, 2020, 02:13 PM   #844
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I feel like I need other people to help. A better DP than I have worked with before and a a better cast. Are you saying they cost too much money? How do other directors afford them then when they are making their firsts, in order to get into festivals?
Old April 1st, 2020, 02:59 PM   #845
Inner Circle

First time directors can have larger budgets than you do. The ones who get into festivals often have a lot more directing experience than you, they may be actors themselves, so get a good deal from other actors,

They may have worked in the industry, so are known and have good contacts, with a real producer working on their production.

With your budget, you don't have the funds to pay people on a feature film as complex as the one you're describing.

Also, your film doesn't sound like a festival film.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:05 PM   #846
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but I feel that I'm at a paradox cause I got to make a movie first, then get into festivals, then hopefully get recognition that way for the next, bigger project. But in order to make something festival worthy, I need top notch actors, and a top notch DP for that project. Otherwise I won't get into festivals.

So how can I get top notch experienced people to work with beforehand, in order to make a festival worthy product in the first place?
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:12 PM   #847
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well I feel like I need other people to help. A better DP than I have worked with before and a a better cast. Are you saying they cost too much money? How do other directors afford them then when they are making their firsts, in order to get into festivals?
Everything on the surface seems simple. Of course, if you hire professionals and you'll get professional results, but that costs money and isn't any guarantee of financial success. Let's say you spend 10k, produce a great film, enter into a film festival, win, you still haven't made any money you're actually in the hole for 10k, now you have to use that success to springboard yourself into a paying project that will get you out of debt and start making money.

Do you even perceive how much risk and how low the success rate there is in indie filmaking even if you're talented. Now replay that scenario without talent, weak cast, script, crew etc.

Making a movie is a business. Just like any start up small business the odds are it will fail.
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:15 PM   #848
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah I see what you mean and I think about that a lot. Would be the best method then to get a movie made with more experienced people then? Or what do you do, when faced with that paradox? I'm trying to get to making a movie with good professionals, without having to make more than one movie and thereby spending more money. How does one do that?
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:19 PM   #849
Inner Circle

It's always a paradox.

On your budget you need to know really good actors who want to get the experience of bigger roles, who are willing to invest their time in a project they believe in.

However, it may prove difficult if your short films haven't yet been shown at film festivals.
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:37 PM   #850
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yeah I see what you mean and I think about that a lot. Would be the best method then to get a movie made with more experienced people then? Or what do you do, when faced with that paradox? I'm trying to get to making a movie with good professionals, without having to make more than one movie and thereby spending more money. How does one do that?
We aren't trying to crush your dreams or make you feel bad about yourself, that's the realities of indie filmaking. We can't be telling you anything you didn't already know. Truth is it's a hard business with no easy answers. You either have what it takes or you don't. The more honest you are with yourself the better off you'll be in the future.
Old April 1st, 2020, 03:50 PM   #851
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks, I know you aren't. Thanks.

Well in order to get into a festival first, I need to make something with good actors, first. So what can I do to attract good actors without any festival winners, since I need them first, in order to have a chance of winning? I know some actors I worked with before, but I was told not to work with them. A couple of them may be good, but since I have only worked with them in comedy, not sure how they would do in serious roles. But they may be good. But of course, I need more than just two, so is there a place to look for actors that are interested, where I wouldn't need a festival winner?
Old April 1st, 2020, 04:07 PM   #852
Inner Circle

I just laid out one possible path (win film festival route). One could argue that method is getting supplanted by social media. Regardless of the method your success will always be contingent on how good you're at what you do. Read that link with the 5 characteristics needed to be a film maker. You're still caught up with the details like how do I get good actors, dp, etc. When you're talented and have good projects good people will gravitate to you.
Old April 1st, 2020, 04:21 PM   #853
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, I read those 5 characteristics. Good to know! Thanks.

I also watched the video on the making of The Dallas Buyers Club. So in the video they said that the whole movie was shot with the lights on the locations, and no artificial lights were used. Is that do-able though? I keep being told that I need a better DP but is shooting with the lights of the location and no other lights, even do-able? I feel like that movie got away with it, because Matthew McConaughey is in it, and people are willing to watch a movie he is in, no matter how the cinematography looks. But can just any filmmaker shoot with the lights in the location, and nothing more and still have it look professional to others?

When it comes to how I am with cast and crew, I was told before that I am too flexible with some of their suggestions and use their decisions too much. Should it be more of a collaborative process, or do I need to put my foot down more maybe?
Old April 1st, 2020, 04:38 PM   #854
Inner Circle

A good DP can so amazing things with available light, however, you can't be totally locked into a storyboard. You need to follow what's available in lighting terms at the location on the day of filming.

If you find the right cast people will watch the film quite happily, at some point Matthew McConaughey was an unknown. The skill is spotting an actor before they become big.

Old April 1st, 2020, 05:01 PM   #855
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I can keep looking. There was one film I helped work on before, where the cinematography I thought was really good. Some of the actors were good, others, so so, I thought. But maybe the DP would be interested... even though I would have to arrange for accommodations for him to travel here. If not I can keep looking.

I know about not being locked into a storyboard, it's just in the past, if I abandon the storyboard on the fly, I have regretted it, cause then there were problems with the shot after. But I can try to get better at that.

In the past I also tried to pump out a page of script per half hour of shooting. But is that not enough time maybe, even if I am pressed for time? I was told by the cast and crew before that they were impressed by that and they like how I work fast, and get in and out of locations on faster amount of time, than on other productions. But is half an hour per page, too short maybe?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production