Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird? - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 27th, 2020, 10:19 AM   #751
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Would using a star filter for cinematography be too weird?

Actually I thought the cop thriller would be less money to shoot cause aside from the police station looking building, the rest of takes place in houses, cabins, parks, places like that, so I thought those kind of places would be more accessible, unless I am wrong?

But people I have worked with before, so far do not want to do that one and keep encouraging me to do the Santa Claus one I mentioned before, but I thought that one would be more difficult to do than the cop one.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:23 AM   #752
Inner Circle

Having seen Saskatoon recently on TV programme, it's a rather pretty place, although i suppose there may be a dark underbelly side of town somewhere. Perhaps there's a Blue Velvet side to it, but on the surface it's not NY or LA.

Maybe the Santa Claus script is a better story? Perhaps you understand its world better than dealing with cops and dark characters.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:28 AM   #753
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh actually I felt I understood the cop world better at least in terms of plot. The Santa one, I feel I do not have near as much of a grasp on, but they want me to do it cause they said it's the best one I have access to so far. I wouldn't say the Santa one is a better story, just very different. But the Santa Claus one I find to be more challenging and intimidating cause it requires more lavish sets and production design, and would rather just do a script I can shoot at more real locations.

A.s for whether Saskatoon has a dark underbelly to it or not, well I wasn't planning on setting the script in Saskatoon though.
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:31 AM   #754
Inner Circle

We’re just pointing out things that didn’t work and why they didn’t work. It’s your job to understand the mistakes, what lead to them, and how not to repeat them in your next project.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:35 AM   #755
Inner Circle

The plot is only how you tell the story, it's not the story. If that's all you know it probably has unconvincing characters within an unconvincing world. Do you know real criminals or inside the world of real police?

Saskatoon has to look and feel like the place where this story could happen, even if it's supposed to be another city.
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:39 AM   #756
also known as Ryan Wray

Well I watch a lot of crime thrillers and read them so I feel I would do better in the genre that I like and watch more compared to the Santa one which I hardly ever watching anything, if that means anything?

I thought for the cop thriller, I would set it in a nameless city that is not identified, like some movies like Seven do, and thought that would be best.
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:42 AM   #757
Inner Circle

The only project I’ve ever seen from you that was decent was an interview with musicians. We repeatedly keep telling you not to try to make feature films. Stick to simple small scale projects like interviews or maybe vlog or youtube channel until you achieve some level of professional success.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; March 27th, 2020 at 11:15 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:43 AM   #758
Inner Circle

Watching crime thrillers isn't the same as knowing the real people, you're second or third generation from the originals.

Saskatoon looks nothing like the unnamed city in Seven, although I understand it was based on NYC, where the writer lived for a while.
Old March 27th, 2020, 10:49 AM   #759
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Saskatoon has to look like the city in Seven does it? It's not a rule that a nameless city in a crime thriller, has to look like that one, does it? I was just using Seven as an example of how it's set in a nameless city, and thought I would do the same. I've interviewed police officers and attorneys for it, if that helps.
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:03 AM   #760
Inner Circle

What police and attorneys say in interviews can be very different to what happens in real life, together with the office politics and egos that come with the job.
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:04 AM   #761
also known as Ryan Wray

Sure, but I probably should still go by what they gave me in the interviews, and listen to that though, shouldn't I?
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:43 AM   #762
Inner Circle

You can listen to it, but you'll need more depth if you're making a serious film.

I've met a number of terrorists and police, but I would need to do a lot more research if I was going to make something that was going to be original and capture attention.
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:56 AM   #763
Slash Rules!

I’m sorry you cant just fling “Ive met a number of terrorists” out there without giving us more detail. Its downright cruel.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:57 AM   #764
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh I just said I researched by interviewing police and lawyers. How is that cruel?
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:59 AM   #765
Inner Circle

I’m pretty sure these interviews wouldn’t be that helpful. You think if he interviewed wine makers or sommeliers it would have improved his time movie. It doesn’t hurt to have a general understanding but how many thrillers get deeply involved in the inner workings of the criminal legal system. Ryan has trouble writing plausible plots, premises, characters, dialogue...
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production