Does anyone know how to do this video map effect? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 8th, 2020, 05:47 PM   #31
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Does anyone know how to do this video map effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I just wonder sometimes! Is not graphics something everyone studied at school to at least the kind of level we're talking about here. As for the copyright issues - I cannot believe any younger person doesn't know how to plagiarise, steal, mimic or copy material? I thought they all learned this unofficially in their teens?

Pete is totally right though, Ryan as a multi-disciplinary producer seems so ill equipped to do the job. Everything is so hard, and learning so difficult.
Oh okay, well I am finding it difficult to animate a map, especially when every map has writing on you don't want. So I have to animate a map from almost scratch. Isn't that difficult even for the average person?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2020, 02:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

By laying blank paper on top, you can trace a source map and so create your own map without any writing over it, You can do this physically and scan it into you computer. You can then use your NLE to keyframe moves.

Alternately. if you've got Photoshop and the copyright free map, you can alter it so that you get the look you want. It's a matter of playing around with Photoshop and exporting a suitably high resolution file, Paul gave you the max you can use in Premiere earlier.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2020, 05:44 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Let's be honest Ryan - the skills required to use photoshop are hardly as complex and tricky as many of the other things you do? You now have some really good map sources from people in this topic. Google earth pro - is free, and you can turn things off very easily. Alternatively you can find a million sources of maps, and very simply add texture to simulate terrain, as in the Indian Jones movie.

I'd forgotten it but I did a little local history photo thing years ago that has some map following - it's quite crude now, but hardly difficult, process wise.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #34
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, thanks. I've tried google Earth Pro, but I have to take freeze frames of it as I go, and have to erase all the google earth lables on the map and there are a lot mostly in the ocean areas. So I can use the clone stamp to get rid of them, but this takes some time to make it look good. But I am having trouble taking still frames of the land as I go because google Earth keeps changing it's angle and trajectory as I got, thereby leading to mismatches in trajectory from frame to frame, if that makes sense?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:50 AM   #35
Inner Circle

That method will have a certain animated "look" and you do need to practice the moves before you start capturing the frames, so that you get a feel for them.

If you want a smoother move try using the movie maker option in tools.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2020, 06:38 PM   #36
Wrangler

Speaking of "video map effects"..... I am developing a GPS/Mapping app using a very cool API called "maptalks". It was originally developed by YUM Brands in China for in-house use, analyzing locations to place KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants! The company then turned it into an open source project at github.

Anyway, Played with its 3d animation capabilities today and am very impressed. Just added a few lines of code to the app I'm writing to get these effects. These are running in realtime using map data from the New Jersey state mapservers. Could get much better performance with local data. I will add some kind of basic capablities like these to my finished app.

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2020, 10:45 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The second one has worked well.
Old January 12th, 2021, 11:37 AM   #38
Wrangler

Just found this while looking for something else. Pretty cool if you're serious about integrating maps into your video.

https://www.maptiler.com/news/2020/1...to-your-video/

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2021, 11:44 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I wonder how hard that is to manipulate? Looks great but I bet it's a steep learning curve!
Old January 12th, 2021, 02:25 PM   #40
Wrangler

Looks pretty straightforward to me, although I did not dig very deep. However, I've been immersed in writing map software for the past few years so my frame of reference is a bit different. :-) For me, After Effects would be the "steep curve", since I haven't used it before and learning Adobe software is one of my least favorite activities!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production