Do a lot of movies use this 3 color rule? - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 6th, 2021, 02:17 PM   #136
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Do a lot of movies use this 3 color rule?

Yes it's true that I am a long way off from the color grading process and from the shooting process. But I am making the storyboards and shot list now. In the storyboards on frameforge, it's all colorized already. Therefore, should I choose colors that will be closer to the final product to avoid confusion when I show the storyboards to a DP and PD for example?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2021, 03:02 PM   #137
Slash Rules!

No. If your DP doesnt know the boards are at best a loose guide and thinks the colors in them are exactly how you intend the movie to look, that person is a braindead moron and should be fired immediately
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2021, 04:28 PM   #138
Inner Circle

Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:22 PM   #139
also known as Ryan Wray

Well it was said before that I should am trying to emulate a look of movies that is too high budget and I should look to other low budget movies for inspiration. Are there any other microbudget movies to be inspired by where they do not have a color scheme in mind?

Every movie I watch almost seems to have one in mind, so are their any that do not then besides El Mariachi, where the movies are still good of course?
Old January 21st, 2021, 06:34 AM   #140
Inner Circle

Unless you have a good story and good actors - nobody will even notice your silly colour scheme ideas. You are spending time and money on storyboarding - this is really poor use of your funds, because all that effort to colourise a working document helps nobody at all!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:05 PM   #141
also known as Ryan Wray

Should I just draw out the storyboards with a pencil then?
Old January 21st, 2021, 08:39 PM   #142
Regular Crew

Sure, why not?
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 10:01 PM   #143
Inner Circle

I highly recommend the Ticonderoga Soft No. 2 Pencil. It feels good in the hand.
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 10:07 PM   #144
Slash Rules!

Is there a demo of if? I dont know if I want to spend money on a pencil without trying it first.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2021, 10:08 PM   #145
also known as Ryan Wray

Well it's just I want to attract possible funding and a DP, and I was told by two filmmakers that it makes a good impression if I have the storyboards ready to go in the plan I present. But if the drawings don't look good because they are drawn by me, I was worried it would make a more poor impression, and that every little bit helps.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 02:35 AM   #146
Inner Circle

How many times do we have to tell you that you must stop asking people, grow a set and learn to make decisions based on your gut.

You are also totally unable to read people properly, and often misinterpret totally what people actually say.

Do these people know you? Do they know how you confuse people? If they do, their advice is tempered by them trying to help you. Maybe they got confused by your verbal attempts to explain, so figured your only way to get an idea across is a picture, because you can’t do it well in speech?

You say good impression? To whom? Which of your available pool even know how to read a storyboard? The camera people mainly. I’m not really a mega capable camera person, but I can read anything from a scribble to a photo if, and only if, it contains enough info. My own view of storyboards, or longhand explanations, or 2D diagrams and plans is that they all work if they contain what people need so they don’t need to ask. The more questions they generate, the worse they were.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 10:12 AM   #147
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh so you are saying if I make the storyboards in frameforge or something like that, they could raise more questions?

The people are just a couple of filmmakers I have helped with on their projects before.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 10:29 AM   #148
Inner Circle

No - not at all what I'm saying.

In fact if they are real filmmakers - then they would understand almost anything.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 10:51 AM   #149
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but I thought that the storyboards clarity would be for the producers and funders sake, rather than the filmmakers, or so that's what they were telling me.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 11:20 AM   #150
Inner Circle

Storyboards aren't for fundraising. A funder isn't interested in that level of details. This type of production wouldn't attract investors. You'd be lucky to get friends, family and participants donating a small amount so they can be in a movie. Seriously be realistic this is a passion project and treat it as such. It's not going to make money, it's hey I made my own movie on a micro budget. You should try to curb your delusions of grandeur and set achievable goals.
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production