MB:LookSuite was designed for Video only ? or presets apply for Celluloid too ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MB:LookSuite was designed for Video only ? or presets apply for Celluloid too ?

I understand the purpose of LookSuite for Video.

But if LookSuite was designed to match some color deepness of 35mm stills, then i assume this filter will just hurt a picture that was already taken with a 35mm camera, right ?

If i'm wrong, and LookSuite Apply for 35mm too. I Guess that i have to match the colors of a 35mm still in my Video, before apply LookSuite. I'm a right ?

Sorry for the bad English.
I don't know if i explain myself right.
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Roberto

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the presets in the LookSuite would be a little too extreme for 35mm. However, if you were to water down the effects a little, I'm sure it would look just as good.

Again, I'm not an expert.

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I suppose, the presets are configured assuming that you're going to drop a shot with 1/60th on shutter, and well white balance.

But even with shots at 1/60, i felt like they're a little bit too extreme, like you said.

I'm not entirely sure about what direction would be best to tweak the colors before applying LookSuite.

But most of them, produce really high contrasts, and super darker areas.

I'm still trying to understand, for what type of sources are this presets for.
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Roberto,

Look Suite is a really versitile tool. If you are only using the presets, you are missing out.

For one thing, Look Suite is for applying stylistic "looks" to your footage. It is not a replacement for proper color correction. It is designed to accept good-looking video that is of normal contrast and proper white balance, and enhance it in different ways.

If you find a look you want, but it doesn't look just right, perhaps your still image needs some work (adjust the Pre stage to taste), or the look is too extreme (adjust the Post stage to taste).

The default looks are quickly becoming cliche from overuse, so it's important to explore further.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I've used it on super 8 footage and it looked fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production