Confused about DVFilm Maker and Cineform Connect HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 19th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Confused about DVFilm Maker and Cineform Connect HD

Hi,

Last night I downloaded the demo version of DVFilm Maker and started processing a Sony FX1E .m2t file (following the 'Special Instructions' for the FX1E).

Two problems:

First - (following the instructions) I am under the impression that DVFilm Maker is supposed to convert 50i to 25p i.e. 50fps interlaced to 25fps progressive scan. Is this correct and if so why does Sony Vegas still detect the DVFilm Maker output as interlaced, upper field first?

Second - (following the instructions) you are advised to select the Cineform HD codec as a compression format from within DVFilm Maker. I have Cineform Connect HD (which I purchased) and the latest version of Cineform has additional encoder options for its output i.e. you are able to select 'Interlaced', 'Progressive', or 'Automatic'. I tried using 'Progressive' and 'Automatic' but no matter what setting is applied here DVFilm Maker still creates a interlaced, upper field first, output file.

Am I doing something wrong, maybe not understanding the function of DVFilm Maker, or is it Vegas again not correctly detecting the field order of a file?

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm not familiar with Vegas, but in Final Cut Pro, you select what sort of timeline you want (DV-NTSC, HDV, 30fps, 23.89fps, interlaced, progressive, etc.) and then put your footage in it. If it goes in without needing to be rendered (if it plays back at full quality right away), then your footage is progressive scan and you're all set.

I would simply try creating a timeline or whatever Vegas calls it and telling it that you have progressive footage. If it insists that it's interlaced, then you may have a problem, but if it accepts what you tell it, you should be OK.

-Chad
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply - I thought my message had gone missing as nobody had given any input.

The problem with Vegas is that it will accept any file you give it and you can tell it anything you like and you will only find out when previewing your final product that either you or Vegas was right.

Vegas is 'optimized' for DV and I have yet to find an instance where Vegas will not deem it necessary to render unless the source is DV.

Don't get me wrong - it is a fantastic product and I would not change it for the world - and the only problem that I think it has is when it comes to judging the properties of a file that was not created using itself - it does not always get it right.

Anyway - I'm still not sure whether or not DVFilm Maker is actually giving me a progressive file after following the instructions to the letter (for the FX1).

I'm surprised that someone from Cineform has not responded to my query - they are normally pretty good when it comes to support and as DVFilm Maker actually recommends using Cineform HD as the output compressor or encoder I just thought that they would have some input.

Anyway - I suppose that it is not a train smash - I have all of the Pixelan Software plug-ins and they have a couple of 'film look' presets which look fantastic for what I am doing (although I do understand that this is not a 25p or 24p conversion process as I expected DVFilm Maker would do for me).

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production