Difficult Locations, at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Difficult Locations,

Hi,
Although big budget productions can get any locations they want using their big cheque book, I have always been working in the very low budget arena, and I'm curious to get opinions from your own experience-what are the most difficult places to find/use as locations? Either because of logistical problems (no power, too noisy, too cramped etc), due to rarity, or simply due to the difficulty or expense of getting permission? Some locations which I have found to be hard to get in the past include:

Aircraft/Airports (security issues, expensive permits)
Trains and Stations (security, expense, safety)
Motor car interiors (cramped, hard to control lighting)

Any others to add to this list?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Modern minimalist apartments.

Discounting all the obvious ones - some of which you've mentioned - due to permits, security, money, etc... Modern minimalist apartments drive me crazy.

I shot a film recently where the director lined up 3 very high-end NYC apartments (one of which belongs to a pretty famous comedian). These apartments were definitely very expensive and very white. Every flat surface was white - making it very difficult to generate contrast. Add to the fact that my G&E order was split in half - I had to improvise flags for negative fill.

Last week, I shot another film that was supposed to take place in a gallery. Again, expensive places (one gallery wanted $5M/day to shoot there). Again, all white walls!
Chien Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chien Huey
one gallery wanted $5M/day to shoot there
$5 million a day????
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
$5 million a day????

Probably means $5,000/day. M=1000?
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

Really? ;-)

In the world of finance, "M" means million....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yup, M=million

And that's United States Dollars. Needless to say, the producers chose a different location. Supposedly, the $5M was to cover their operating expenses for the day and they wanted an additional $10,000 fee for the use of their space.

It's a free market - they can ask whatever they want and we can walk away. Though, supposedly the producer decided to mess with them a little and said "okay" when they said the fee was $5M. The lady didn't flinch and started gathering up the paperwork. Though I find it very difficult to believe that any production, short of the big $200M blockbusters (and even then), would pay that type of money for that type of location.
Chien Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chien Huey
It's a free market - they can ask whatever they want and we can walk away. Though, supposedly the producer decided to mess with them a little and said "okay" when they said the fee was $5M. The lady didn't flinch and started gathering up the paperwork. Though I find it very difficult to believe that any production, short of the big $200M blockbusters (and even then), would pay that type of money for that type of location.

Very funny! And yes, I bet they probably have never gotten 5M/day ever. What a Joke!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production