DV Film Look Filters - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old February 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Tools

Jeff,

For a story.

I have always been told to use the best tools for the job.

When I was a kid I worked on airplanes with my uncle. He had simple tin snips for cutting the stringers which run 90 degrees to the spar of the wing.

When I was using the snips he always cautioned me about the proper use. He told me to never drop the snips because they were expensive. He didn't buy K-Mart products. Everything was Snap-On or Mac tools when possible.

There is a big difference between Craftsman tools and the Snap-On & Mac. The nice tools are well balanced and just don't wear out. Nice tools also are easier to use and get the job done faster.

As I grew up I remembered what I was taught. I bought the best tools. I became a aircraft mechanic and then went on to become a pilot. I flew nice corporate jets.

So, when I decided to buy some woodworking tools I bought the best which were Powermatic. They get the job done quick and make the job much easier and more accurate.

Deciding what I wanted to do with video was easy. I knew I had to have the best tools for the job. But I didn't know anything about video (and still don't) but I am learning by using the best tools....thanks to this website.

I research everything! I may pay a little more for a kitchen stove but I know that it will work better and last longer.

Good video equipment makes good video. I just doesn't matter if I shoot birds, dogs, people or airplanes.

BTW I use the best interns from the local high school and university to run my equipment. It gives them experience and me lots of pleasure.

Thanks for the Softar advice.

Regards,

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #17

softening filters

The whole reason I got into the XL-1s was because I was doing a feature film involving close-ups with a Canada goose and the movie camera and boom mic scared the beegeepers out of it. For some reason, the goose didn't mind the XL-1s. But I needed the shots to look like film. After much experimentation, I found using the Frame Mode with a 1/2 black Pro Mist did a damn fine job. BUT... you gotta watch the light. If you get low-angle back, key and fill light the stuff looks awesome. I have no idea why low angle works better; I've just found that it does.

BTW: Your project seems a noble one. If I can be of any help from here in Colorado, I'd be happy to assist.

In any case, thank you for what you are doing... I'm an old (54) grunt medic, myself.

Ooo-rah,
"Doc"
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

What would be the choice for a film look? DV filters or Post Production? Or a combination of both?
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production