24 fps and 30 fps Can You see the diff ? Check this at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24 fps and 30 fps Can You see the diff ? Check this

hey i played around with thse video, 30fps down to 24.

http://www.sjsband.org/11111edit24.avi
http://www.sjsband.org/11111ori30.avi

is this what people meant by cinematic look ? the dreemy feeling . if oyu want more just ask :) will be glad to test more
Anthony Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Major Player

24p is just the filmic frame rate. It gives a different temporaral feel. But your videos still look very video. The colors, for example, are a dead give-away. There are many other differences between film and video besides 24p.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks the same, almost. It's hard to tell the difference with web compressed files. The program was very flatly lighted which would give film a video look!
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Trustee

yeah, I think the 24p thing is the last little (very little) piece in a very large puzzle. More of the filmlook happens in front and behind the camera than inside it.

Most importantly, how is your audience going to view your piece? On a 35mm film out? 24p will be much easier to transfer. On a monitor/DVD? they run at 60i, so 30p will look better there. You'll have to add pulldown to convert to 30p later anyway if you're not going to film out with it. Many transfer houses actually have their transfers setup for 60i too, so that all depends on how your film printing company wants the footage.

If you're specifically looking to increase the motion trails to give a more dreamy quality, then the shutter speed is the thing that does this part...the 24p is just a nice round number ( half ) when you're using a 1/48th second (180 degree) shutter. Due to the nature of digital, you can technically now fit a 1/48th second timeslice into a 1/30th second frame...you can do that and not worry about converting for distribution.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Jubal 28

"Better" is really an artistic concern . . . 24 fps movies shown on 60i TV look just fine, and as 24p on 60i TV employs the same pulldown scheme, the motion is exactly the same as 24 fps film. Now, if you want a smoother motion cadence, then 30p might be what you want -- but it will be different from 24 fps film.

Hollywood movies are all laid to DVD as 24p files -- shown on a 60i television, the DVD player adds pulldown to make it 60i for display. Using 24p video, you can make a 24p DVD and it will behave the same.

If you're planning to go to film, the last thing you want is 30p, because 30p makes for a lousy conversion -- there just aren't enough motion samples to make a smooth conversion to 24 fps.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production