Trying to get two specfic film looks... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to get two specfic film looks...

What's up guys? I'm familiar on how to make DV/HDV look like film, but there are two different feel I'm trying to emulate.

The first style I want to emulate is the "Fight Club" style. For those who have seen this movie, know what I'm talking about. It was dark and gritty.

The second style I'm trying to emulate is the "Entourage style". I'm talking about the HBO show "Entourage". I know that they film the show on film.

Any help would be appreciated...
Michael Vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I really like 'Fight Club'. It's one of my favorites.

It was shot in full anamorphic widescreen (2.40:1 aspect ratio if my math is right). The mood is dark and gritty. The colors are washed out and the whole thing is underexposed. Fincher loves muted colors and he also limits the number of colors to be used. The film seems to use shadows rather than light (this is a theory of mine but I'm not sure if this is a Fincher thing or Jeff Cronenweth the cinematographer). You have to think backward, instead of lighting your shot you have to shadow it.

Hope this helps.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Michael,

This may be somewhat obvious, but have you looked at Magic Bullet from Red Giant or Celluloid from VASST?

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Major Player

The process Fincher uses is called "bleach bypass". Magic Bullet, Nattress, etc. all have this in their filter sets. Which is not to say you'll achieve that specific look. The dynamic range of 35mm film helps with the look of this process. You really have to expose well and get the most latitude out of your DV/HDV footage for this look.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production