Which one? Shooting 25p or shooting 50i then converting 25p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which one? Shooting 25p or shooting 50i then converting 25p?

As a PAL user, which one is better?
Shooting 25p or shooting 50i then convert to 25p?

Between 25p and 24p, are there much differences for If I want to get a film look? Can I get 24p look in 25p mode?

These are weird questions, I know, but important :).
Erhan Gucel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

If your camera shoots 25p then by all means shot at that setting. If it is an interlaced camera then shoot 50i and de-interlace.

The difference between 24p and 25p is unimportant. I wouldn't worry about it.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Erhan, as Tony said shoot 25p if you can, if you read around in here about de interlacing you'll descover that shooting 50i and de interlacing looses vertical resolution.

As for 24 and 25p it all depends on what you want to do with it, if it is going to be blown up to 16mm or 35mm film then you need to ask the post house what they want before you shoot. If not then it is down to personal preference , i personally prefer the HDV25p setting to the 24p because there is less motion blur and being a PAL user also it makes life easier.

By the way what camera are you using? and how much does a JVC HD251E cost in Turkey these days? i'd really like to know.

Andy.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
By the way what camera are you using? and how much does a JVC HD251E cost in Turkey these days? i'd really like to know...
I looked up the cost of HD250 but I can't find it. But I found the other models and brands costs:

JVC GY-HD100: 6500$
CANON XL-H1:8500$
Canon xh G1: 7000$
PANASONIC AG-HVX 200: 5500$
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Another interesting point: Everyone in the school including our editting teacher says "you can't capture 720p25 footage, someone tried to do that and failed"... School have Avid Xpress Pro. Maybe that's why they can't capture it. I will use Premiere with Cineform Aspect HD. So I can capture via firewire port right?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Erhan, I'm using final cut pro and an HD100e and i can capture HDV25p natively, the only problem is when you cut the camera for a new take it creates a new clip in the editing bin. I don't use premiere so i wouldn't be able to help you ther.

Interesting about the prices in Turkey, thanks for spending the time to look them up. They seem to be the same as here.

Turkey is a Beautifull countrty by the way, i was there a few years back on holiday down south in Alanya (you know the touristy bit!). The weather is superb.

Andy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production