DVFilm Maker isn't creating 24P out of my HDV footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Major Player

DVFilm Maker isn't creating 24P out of my HDV footage.

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing a step here, but I'm trying to de-interlace my Cineform HDV footage shot at 60i on my Z1U.

In DVFilm Maker, I select the 24P Editing Options button, and then select the Convert 60i to 24P radio button and also select Output 23.976 exact check box.

I then click OK, and go to advanced and select User selects compression.

When the compression dialog comes up, I select Cineform HD

When I load my newmovie.avi clip into After Effects, it has fields, but is 23.976

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Trustee

...are you trying to achieve 24fps or 30fps deinterlaced? The steps you just described are for converting to 24p. If you want to just deinterlace it to 30p, ignore the "24p editing options" area completely and just check the Deinterlace box on the main options window.

In either case, the video will/can have fields, for NTSC it is upper field first.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Major Player

I am wanting to convert my 60i footage to 24p footage, which I thought would be 24 frames, without any fields. Maybe I was mistaken on what DVFilm Maker would do.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
I am wanting to convert my 60i footage to 24p footage, which I thought would be 24 frames, without any fields. Maybe I was mistaken on what DVFilm Maker would do.
Then the process you described is correct. Ignore the fields, it may say it has them but the footage is progressive. If you really want to you can tell AE to interpret as progressive. As I understand it, Cineform handles 50i and 60i footage as well, so to build in compatibility for both interlaced and progressive footage it just puts everything in terms of fields but for progressive, makes both fields of the same frame It's just formatting; you have true 24p footage regardless.

If you're confused as to why it's 23.976 instead of 24, that's because of some sound syncing issue. I don't know technical specifics, but when you edit 24p footage it must be 23.976 to sync with the audio...it's the same with 60i (must be 59.94), or 30p (you'll see the number 29.97 crop up a lot).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production