Production management resources/books? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old May 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Production management resources/books?

I'm an aspiring producer looking for resources in the form of tapes, books, websites, or whatever focuses specifically on the management side of things. For example:
-how to deal with cast & crew (intentionally phrased vaguely)
-hiring, interview, and HR techniques
-different ways to run a set
-psychology in the context of video production

I have no management training and no interest in such, so I'm looking for the shortcuts to the gold info. I've learned a lot from experience, but I'm wondering if there is a holy book that formalizes this sort of thing. Being young makes it very difficult to be taken seriously in person and occasionally I must resort to one-way communication.
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #2
New Boot

I don't know of any great books covering producing, etc., but it comes down to how you deal with the different people...the different egos...no egos like in the film business. It's much different than management per se in an organization, but you still have to establish a plan, a schedule and be able to take care of things when they get out of line. How much experience do you have in scheduling shoots? You have to make the set a comfortable place for people to do their thing...people have to feel they can give creative suggestions to make it a better film...they have to be able to do their part without fear of the iron fist. Nothing worse than tension on a set. Nobody performs well under pressure. Being the producer requires some hands off when it's time to shoot...so the pre-production is the key. Great script and great plan!
Curtis Kessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

While producing my first feature film, my bible was Elliot Grove's "Raindance Producers' Lab Lo-To-No Budget Filmmaking" (Focal Press). It pretty much covers all aspects of producing and production management. It also comes with a CD with all the production forms you are going to need. Don't let the title fool you, Grove considers one million dollars to be a "low budget" film.

best of luck

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production