1/25th shutter at 25p: disadvantages? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1/25th shutter at 25p: disadvantages?

I used to shoot 1/25 for a while on DV interlaced but stopped when I realized what a drop in resolution it caused. Too bad because other than that, I thought it made for a very cinematic form of motion clarity.

Now I'm about to buy an HV20 (PAL) which can shoot at 25p and I wonder, can I now shoot 1/25 without disadvantages?

And I also read somewhere that that 1/25 shutter is actually NOT AT ALL recommended to get a film-look because the motion clarity is nothing like film at all. I don't really see this.

Anyone care to comment?
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Reese, I shot 1/25 on my DVC30 which although not progressive gave a great style and only with motion blur if the action was really moving. After I got my DVX100 I was planning to shoot my next event 25p at 1/25, 1/25 of course helps in low light too. I did some test footage in broad daylight at 25p 1/25. The amount of motion blue was massive, even in slight movements, even a slow pan would have been un-useable. If your subject is static I cant see a problem but if it's moving I'd ramp up to 1/50.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Remember that an interlaced camera loses resolution and framerate when shooting at 1/25 (PAL) or 1/30 (NTSC) shutter speeds. Motion blur and 15/12.5fps will not look so great. It's okay if you don't move the camera, but the stutter is just too much at 15fps. A progressive camera will have motion blur, but the higher framerate makes everything look better. If you really need the extra exposure and don't mind extra motion blur, the slow shutter on a progressive camera can be very helpful (assuming the HV20 truly shoots progressive).
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello Reese,

Why should 1/25 sec. exposure time look so cinematic? A real film camera shooting 25 fps has a much shorter exposure time than 1/25 s. Closer to 1/50 s if I know right to allow for film transport. Greetings from Sweden! /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, I don't know actually... But for some reason 1/25 looked fantastic on my old PDX10P DV cam... But now that I see some 1/48 HDV progressive footage, I must reconsider. The HV20 doing 1/48 in 24p looks so close to film it's amazing.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Leysen View Post
Well, I don't know actually... But for some reason 1/25 looked fantastic on my old PDX10P DV cam... But now that I see some 1/48 HDV progressive footage, I must reconsider. The HV20 doing 1/48 in 24p looks so close to film it's amazing.
It will because if you shoot 1/48th at 24p (or 1/50 at 25p) you're recreating the motion blur of film pretty closely. 1/24 at 24fps is impossible on film (maybe it can be simulated with CG frame morphing or something)

However for low light some movies shot in HD do use 1/24 in lowlight situations (Apocalypto and Collateral that I know). Personally I never liked 1/24 and when it pops up in the those films, it does look a great deal more videoish to me than 1/48th @24p. However if push came to shove it's great for getting that extra stop in a tricky lighty situation.However I had some students kept alternating 1/25 with 50i and the back and forth switching (sometimes between the two in the same scene!) was pretty distracting.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; July 15th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production