Taping a Free Event with Marketing Opportunities at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Taping a Free Event with Marketing Opportunities

Well, even though it's a freebie that I'm to tape Saturday, I think it has some potential. My brother hosts live events for the radio station and the'll be at a major car dealership along with the Kid's Safety First giving away 800 car seats. I'm thinking I can take some footage for my demo, maybe make a safety video on car seats etc. that maybe the organization will purchase and give away at their next event.

The people in this forum have lots of great ideas. If you have one for me I'm overlooking, let me know please. I'm trying to build this business and I think it might be a good opportunity to take some footage.

Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, you could knock up a community service announcement for TV on kids car safety. Is there a fine for not using one in FL?

Maybe go to a local school, get as many kids as you can down there early and into the lined up seats set up on boards. Pass out candy and track around at low level, the 'drivers of tomorrow' kinda stuff. Good luck.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
The people in this forum have lots of great ideas. If you have one for me I'm overlooking, let me know please. I'm trying to build this business and I think it might be a good opportunity to take some footage.
My advice... charge for your work. Maybe not top dollar, but get paid something. You won't build a business or your reputation by giving it away for free.

There are all kinds of people out there who will take advantage of your generosity.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Trustee

no work without a portfolio, no portfolio without work. I'm all for doing a couple of free shoots to start yourself out and build a portfolio. Then you increase your prices as you get more material you can show your quality off with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production