Commercial Shoot: Did I forget anything ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 12th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Commercial Shoot: Did I forget anything ?

I'm helping out with a 30-second spot for a local church. I want to make sure I don't forget anything extra important. I have someone else that is shooting it because I have to be someplace that day but I'll do the editing. I'm making them an outline of things to cover.

For their outline as a reminder, I have them white balancing, getting lots of shots from different angles using CU, MS, LS, panning L/R, pulling in/out. Shots of the ext. and sign. Shots of the Pastor at different angles when possible and checking to see if the Pastor wants to speak directly to the camera as in "invite" message or if wants us to provide a question "interview style." Shots of audience and interviewing a couple of attendees. (Pastor will post a sign and/or announce the video is being shot for legal purposes. I have a "talent release" form for any attendee interviews that "may" take place.) Electricity we have, tripod and only about an hour shoot on a Sunday morning.

Can someone tell me where to get a generic contract form for the client to sign?

If I left off something important, by all means let me know.

Thank you!
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Audio. Most new videographers fail to place enough emphasis and attention on sound. Monitor the audio closely. Check mic placements. Grab some samples of room noise too.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Yes sound is always important. For this particular shoot we will be using a music track, title's and voice-overs mainly. But the clips we do use with sound have to be their best, I agree with that.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Lisa, what about some lights for the interior close-ups? Try Googling 'Video client contract form.'
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I get a bad feeling about this. Based on the fact that you've had to make up an instruction sheet reminding the person doing the shoot of such truly beginner basics as white balancing and covering a variety of angles, it sounds like you're relying on someone whom you already know deep down doesn't have a clue what they're doing. Creative video isn't something that can be done on autopilot or without thought and training, no matter what the ads for point-and-shoot cameras would have us believe. Since your name and reputation are going to be on the bottom line, if you can't be there the day of the shoot, I'd strongly suggest you reschedule it rather than trust it to an incompetent and find out later you have to reshoot it anyway. Sorry to sound so harsh but you need to give it some serious thought.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production