Marketing TV Stations and Others for Freelance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Marketing TV Stations and Others for Freelance

I'd wondering if TV stations sometimes hire freelancers to shoot commercials or events? If so, what's the correct way to market services to them?

Also, any suggestions on marketing to businesses to shoot commercial spots for them? I would think trying to build good relationships with the TV stations would be good too if the client needs the project not only produced but also requires the air time negotiations, also.

Any tips or advice would be a great help. I'm working on a commercial now for a client but would like to gain some insight on getting more business.

Thanks.
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Many TV stations have their own in house production department that will shoot commercials for the client. They would tend to view you as a competitor to their services.

Ad agencies often represent a clients needs and they arrange for the commercial to be shot by a production company. The ad agency then delivers the finished product to TV stations for air.

This has been true even since my earlier days in radio. Sometimes we'd cut our own spots for the client, or we might receive a tape in the mail from an ad agency whose client wanted to advertise on our station.

As a production company, I would zero in on getting work from ad agencies.

Just my .02,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the information. Then I should begin aligning myself with some qualified crew for lighting, sound etc ....in order to put together some marketing materials to market to ad agencies plus a reel. Most of what I have shot has been for events but if I go through the material I have I should be able to put a demo together. I also have a 2nd commercial I can shoot that would work for a demo reel.

Just thinking as I go here. I appreciate the advice. It's been helpful.

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Lisa,

Gregs advice is dead on. I've worked in Radio and Television in a major market (Houston) and that's exactly the way it works.

I'm not sure about YOUR local market, but you CAN get 'freelance' work with local cable stations. It's part of what I do now. I work for a station that 'freelances' services to the various municipalities on the Penninsula near San Francisco. The station I work with, does hire freelance videographers for crew for local shoots and projects, so it's a good way to build your reel.

Check into the local cable access channels. Perhaps there's a local community that has a 'scroll' on cable access. They might want to air their community events, or city hall meetings. Offer to provide these services and see what happens.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to locate some of the local cable stations and see if they need me!

Best Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production