New from Georgia - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old November 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #16
Trustee

If you do RA and want some sound, 2 mics, one towards 7, one towards 9 at Turn 8. You pick them up coming out of 7 and going through 9. I have a low quality one done on a cassette with 2 $5 mics and auto noise limiter of the old 3.5l Cogsworth V-8 (14k redline) in the Davy Jones Jaguar that is just glorious. www.versatilemediasolutions.com/Files/davy.wav
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks! I'll have to try that... in fact, I can hear them from my back porch now... My back door is 8/10 mile as the crow flies from turn 7, according to Google Earth.
Edwin Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #18
New Boot

Ed, I will also say welcome to DV I and I've only been here a few weeks. I think this is a great place. I'm down in the Roswell area. I'm also a still photographer (hobby) www.colemanroadproductions.com and enjoy shooting whitewater kayakers up on the Ocoee. Did one video with my HV20 and it was fun. George, I just bought a RODE stereo videomic from Kenny down at SC...gonna try to record a little band I know. Maybe later a field recorder or mixer for better sound. Do you know of any threads that tell what settings to use on the camera? I've been searching...not much luck.
Good luck Ed with your project, sounds like it would be fun.
Bob
Bob Hollifield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Trustee

Bob, try the All Things Audio section along with the HV10/20 section. The Videomic has been discussed in audio and audio setup has been discussed in the Canon section.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Hoschton Here

Ed,

I used to have a Hoschton mailing address for nine years. Now in Dunwoody.
Welcome to dvinfo!

Here is one video I shot while living in Barrow county, You might recognize the coffee shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEmilQssI14

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm not sure I'm better off than the time all I knew was "miniDV tape goes here", but I'm slowly learning.
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #22
New Boot

Another New From Georgia

Well, my roommate has beaten me to the punch (Edwin Wilson). I am coming here on his suggestion as we have both decided to dive into video (and what a financial dive it was). I have always enjoyed photography, and this seemed like a natural progression. Plus, being a nut for technology, this has helped bring new and interesting gear into the house!

I don't have any real experience with video, although as Ed mentioned, we have been working on the annual Sheriff's Office videos for several years now. I would like nothing more than for the Sheriff to decide that the Sheriff's Office needs two full-time media managers, as Ed and I would gladly step into those roles. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I won't be holding my breath.

I've been teaching myself Final Cut Studio 2, and while overwhelming at times, I am getting it little by little. The Apple Pro series books are wonderful and I have really enjoyed learning from them.

Anyway, I look forward to learning what others here are teaching and can't wait to really get into this.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #23
Wrangler

Welcome, Ian..and Edwin, too!

Think I read on Edwin’s thread that you two are doing a recruiting video for the sheriff’s office there. I’m in the middle of one right now in my county—having to change the beginning because the sheriff hired a consultant who said my “tough, action guy” approach was not befitting of the type of person they’d want to attract. I had to laugh, because it’s the very thing all the guys in the office wanted me to do. But…I gotta do what I’m told! (Actually, what she said does make sense…)

Anyway, I hope you two get those full-time media jobs; that would be great! :)
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
I’m in the middle of one right now in my county—having to change the beginning because the sheriff hired a consultant who said my “tough, action guy” approach was not befitting of the type of person they’d want to attract. I had to laugh, because it’s the very thing all the guys in the office wanted me to do. But…I gotta do what I’m told! (Actually, what she said does make sense…)
Gotta love politics, huh?
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Welcome, Ian..and Edwin, too!

Think I read on Edwin’s thread that you two are doing a recruiting video for the sheriff’s office there. I’m in the middle of one right now in my county—having to change the beginning because the sheriff hired a consultant who said my “tough, action guy” approach was not befitting of the type of person they’d want to attract. I had to laugh, because it’s the very thing all the guys in the office wanted me to do. But…I gotta do what I’m told! (Actually, what she said does make sense…)

Anyway, I hope you two get those full-time media jobs; that would be great! :)
Actually, we get that about the yearly Banquet videos, as well. The families of the deputies want to see funny stuff, picture montages, etc. The deputies themselves want to see action stuff. Although, the threat now when a camera comes out for something embarrassing is "This'll be in the banquet video!"

Out of curiosity, what sort of approach did you take? Of the two best recruiting videos I've seen, one was a "day in the life" type that followed the (fictional) events of one day on the job; the second was a more standard "Here's what we've got, with a good soundtrack" type. Both were shot and edited very well, just different approaches.
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #26
Wrangler

Hi Edwin,

If I did a “day in the life” type it would bore potential employees to death! One of the Lieutenants told me the job of an officer is 90% boredom and 10% action. :)

I’m covering the entire Sheriff’s office, which means everything from the jail (heavy on the jail and training, since that’s where everyone has to start) to dispatch, animal control, etc., to SWAT. Because of that I chose a moderately high-energy music video style. It’ll have the obligatory interviews with three people, but they’re going to be brief with coordinating clips and VO. Hopefully, the whole thing will come in under seven minutes. Slow-paced it will not be—not if I can help it.

I have to say it’s been a great year covering these folks and I’m going to miss it. (It’s a volunteer effort because the Sheriff is my friend.) I got in on a multi-agency SWAT challenge out in the desert mountains, CERT training, patrol ride-alongs, K9—all kinds of stuff. It was a blast!

About the music, I got permission to use a soundtrack of a local 80’s rock band, complete with synth and that Van Halen drum sound that is so cool. Hahaha! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood