New from Georgia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old September 16th, 2002, 03:40 PM   #1
New Boot

greetings from georgia...

hi everyone,

i'm a recent filmschool grad (fullsail) and i've moved back to georgia. sigh. i've been looking for work for about two months now and apparently georgia isn't exactly a hotbed for movie activity. i've actually been hoping i'd fall into something. if something menial doesn't come around soon then i'm making a movie. i swear to dog.

-p
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome!
Congratulations on your recent graduation. What is your opinion of the Full Sail school?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM   #3
New Boot

fullsail

i've heard alot of positive things from people on this site about the school, but i came out with nothing but bad stories. like this one time a script of mine was chosen for a 16mm production. i felt like a real writer for the first time. then i failed a film history class for attendance. they pulled my script and told me i had to stay back a month, instead of just making up the class when i was done. i was pissed. even more so when i found out what they called policy was just for me. people before me and after me in classes failed that same class and got to move forward and make it up when they were done.

and i still haven't gotten my fullsail watch!

-p
Old September 17th, 2002, 02:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Welcome, Bokkus...

New York to Georgia Greetings!

See around the house Bokkus...

I haven't been down to that area in a long time. Last visit was Atlanta and the Emory Area. Saw a road to Jimmy Carter's Peanut Factory...

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #5
New Boot

well shucks..

i went to new york a few weeks ago looking for a job. didn't even prepare. just went up with a few copies of my resume and a few phone numbers. i had a horrible time. i almost got mugged. and i wasn't able to find a place to work. a whole bunch of unpaid internships. but i did get to see my ex-art school girlfriend.

-p
Old September 19th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #6
New Boot

Greetings from Snellville! (suburb of Atlanta)
I live in Snellville, and work in Duluth as a videographer/audio engineer. They are actually shooting about 3 movies that I currently know of down in Griffin, just south of Atlanta. Cuban Gooding Jr. is doing a movie there, and Burt Reynolds and some other notable leadin lady is doing a film there at the same time. There is a third film, and names etc. are forgotten.

The film industry in Atlanta got a huge kick in the ass when the local trucker's union started raising rates and gouging the crews that came here. "Driving Miss Daisy," amongst others were done here. Oh yeah "Robo-Cop III" was also shot in Atlanta. The buzz from PC&E and other places where film gear gets rented is that its starting to pick up again, a little.

I come from Minneapolis originally and freelanced there for about 8 years. I hear from my close friends in that market that because of the movie crews flocking to Toronto because of the strong exchange rate, the west coast is hurting for business and have slashed rates. Therefore- commercial shoots - which used to be sort of plentiful in the St Paul/ Minneapolis area-- have almost all gone out to the west coast now.

Atlanta- well? I moved down here to work for my current corporate-employer, and dont know this city's market as well. The music is R&B or Rap. There are a number of really good recording studios, but I'm too far along in my career, with family, and too short on extra time to do the normal route of working up through running for coffee and learning the ropes on the side.

I thought Fullsail was for audio recording? Huh. What area are you looking to get involved in? Writing? If I can help at all, shoot me an email.

Good luck,

Jeff Patnaude
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #7
New Boot

Anyone out there live in Georgia?

I'm in Macon and I'm looking for a DP to shoot a short film on XL1 that I have written and will direct. It is currently in pre-production. If anyone out there is interested please contact me. Thanks.
-Alonzo
ShogunFilms@aol.com
Macon, Georgia
Alonzo Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi, I live in Atlanta and have an xl-1 and an xl-1s. What type of video are you making?
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #9
New Boot

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I sent you an email with more details.
"Rain' is a short film that I wrote and will direct and co-star in. It will be shot in Macon. Its been cast, location secured etc. But, I need a DP......help!!!!
Macon, Georgia
Alonzo Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:02 AM   #10
Tourist

Hi I also live in Atlanta

I have 2 XL2's, a GL1, and a Sony, plenty of lighting and a sound studio, can I be of some help?
Daniel Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

New from Georgia

Hello, all, from Northeast Georgia. Normally go by "Ed" but there was already an "Ed Wilson" registered. Pretty new to video; have been an amateur photographer for quite some time but never really pursued video (other than some highly embarrassing spoof films on VHS as a teenager). I'm a Deputy Sheriff, and a co-worker and I made a video for the agency's annual awards banquet about four years ago as a "Hey, wouldn't this be neat" kind of thing, with still photos and video clips we'd shot throughout the year. The Sheriff liked it so much that our one-off spare-time video became an annual event; so every year (right around this time) we have to come up with a new one. Neither of us has a whole lot (read: any) real experience with shooting or editing video, but, thankfully, the expectations of our audience are low. We're also being asked to make a recruiting video for the agency. So, I expect I'll have plenty of questions to come... I've already learned quite a bit from reading the forums, and are trying to pick up whatever books on both shooting and editing I can.

What I've got to work with: Sony V1U, 24" white iMac, FCE. Prior to the Mac and V1U I was using Vegas 5 (I think it was 5) and a Sony DCR-HC20. Depending on when Apple announces the new Mac Pros, I'm planning on upgrading to a Pro and FCS. Really, far more camera than I need for such a project, but I'm planning on growing into it; and the recruiting video has to look good (Never annoy the Sheriff).
Edwin Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Major Player

Welcome to DVinfo!

You have the gear to do it right... enjoy and fire away with questions!

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Wilson View Post
(Never annoy the Sheriff).
Sure you can, then you can come over here and work with the AL State Troopers with me. Actually I'm not an arresting officer with the Department but work in Communications Engineering.

Ronnie
Ronnie Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Trustee

Oh Noz! A Hall County Deputy! Run for cover! j/k - I used to work with the SCCA at Road Atlanta and used to know a few of you guys by sight and name from the track. Still hangout at Chicopee Woods to mountain bike and have helmetcam footage with a HC7 I am working on.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Not Hall, but close. *grin*

My roommate is currently in the process of trying to trim a Merlin, and I'm hearing an amazing assortment of swear words. We're spending so much time playing with the new stuff that we're forgetting what we're supposed to be doing- finishing the awards banquet video.

Well, the quality can't get much worse than previous years, I suppose...

I've done some still photography at Road Atlanta on open track days; never tried video there (yet)... as well as mount the HC20 to the motorcycle. Mounting the V1 will take some head scratching.

Ronnie: Troopers? I'll forgo the limerick I'm currently thinking of. Joke- we have to give Troopers a hard time no matter what state. They've saved our bacon more than once, though.
Edwin Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood