St. Petersburg FL here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #1
New Boot

St. Petersburg FL here

Hi everyone, nice forum! First time here. Just picked up the GL1 a few months ago - love it. Now trying to find a good editing program. I have Premiere now - not bad.

I previously had a small production company doing animation on 35mm film and TV commericials. Also shot many documentaries on a variety of topics and some real estate promo stuff for some well known resorts. I used to shoot on 16mm and Betacam SP - now the GL1 is my baby. I've already done a few short docu-dramas with it and absolutely love the camera.

Looking forward to meeting many of you and perhaps we can all meet somewhere in the middle sometime this summer for a shoot-out!

Mike
Old March 14th, 2002, 03:28 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Mike!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #3
MSKUTNIK

Welcome

Hello, Welcome. I am a newbie to the board as well but find it has a whole lot of resources that are hard to find elsewhere.

You may wanna get After Fx, much better at editing, premiere is basically a good capture app, with ok editing functions. But if you are editing, animating and compositing definitly get after Fx for pc, FinalCut Pro for mac, or Commotion , and better yet Combustion if you can afford it. (just remember you can't capture dv with After FX, only premiere, so you need them both)
Good luck. Matt
Old March 15th, 2002, 02:28 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I agree a bit with him, although I think Premiere is a much
better editing application than After Effects will ever be. Premiere
is made to edit. After Effects is not. With my current project
I am editing in Premiere. Then I load my Premiere project in
After Effects and do my effects and color correcting jobs there.

As with anything, try it before you buy it.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #5
MSKUTNIK

After Fx vs Premiere

Ok here's the skinny. I have been using both apps extensively for over 6 years.
If all your doing is clipping, arranging and transitioning video/audio clips. Yes Premiere is the clear choice. It's easy, fast, and everything is right in front of you.
BUT:
After Fx is clearly the more robust application. Hands Down. Read any highend video mag, article or ask any video professional. After Fx does everything Premiere does and ten times more, the only thing is you can't capture with it. Not to mention it imports Premiere Files directly.
Don't take my word for it, Go to Vfxpro.com discussion forums, Cinematograhpy.com Discussion forums, Read "Digital Fim Making" by Scott Billups, Or "The Fimakers Handbook" by Steven Ascher (should both be required reading...best money you'll ever spend).
I have no prejudgement about either app. After Fx is much more difficult to get a handle on no doubt about it, but it provides much more flexability, tools and functions for the money.

MS
Old March 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

It should be noted that Premiere is a video editing program and After Effects is a video compositing program. No doubt about it, many folks use After Effects to edit, but it does have a steep learning curve and is not the best choice for beginners or for people who need to work fast and get a job finished quickly.

I use Canopus RexEdit and I really like it despite a few limitations. The ability to edit and output in real-time is a huge benefit, and the interface is clean, simple and fast to learn and use.

Guys, we've taken the conversation beyond the focus of the meet 'n' greet format of this forum... best to pick it up elsewhere. Look for a new PC-based video editing forum to open here soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Dan
Welcome to a great site, I use pinnacle studio DV 7 but would like to get Avid Xpress for it's abilities.

P.S. use to work at albert whitted, loved St. Pete, had an apartment near the pier, one day I will go back.
Don
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 12:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi Don,

Is Pinnacle Studio fairly easy to learn? I saw it on sale for $99 at CompUSA, which I think is a pretty good deal. I use Adobe Premiere now. Glad you love St. Pete. I don't. Been here since 1969 and saw the city go down every year since. What's left now is not pretty. Anyway, maybe we can meet up and do some shooting sometime. I go to St. Augustine/Palatka area regularly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood